5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Trouble with the stang

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 09:28 AM
95MustangMan

Default Trouble with the stang

Hello there, I am new to the forums, and was hoping I could get some help!

My dad owned a 1995 ford mustang gt 5.0, and for the last couple of years, he hasn't driven it once. It's sat outside for two years, unstarted, and unmoved. Now that you know this, before it sat, it ran beautifully and wonderfully.

I can now say that I own it, and it runs like crap now. After sitting for two years, it barely stays running, backfires ALOT, and sounds like it's only running on about two cylinders. You know what would cause this? I changed the plugs, dist, rotor, working on getting the wires changed this week hopefully. Also put some seafoam in it to see if I could get it cleaned out, but alot of the time it either won't start up, or it won't stay running long enough to drive it 2 feet.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. It say for two years, so I don't really thing anything has 'broken' on it, it may just be worn from sitting so long unused. Please let me know!

Thanks alot!
Old 06-06-2007, 09:52 AM
piedraco
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Trouble with the stang

are you getting fuel in the system? check your fuel filter, backfire is a timing problem, make sure your wires are connected correctly. did you gap your plugs?
Old 06-06-2007, 10:25 AM
rocketrotary
2nd Gear Member

+1, and welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of people here with good information.

Vic
Old 06-06-2007, 10:33 AM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

+2, bad gas can cause it to backfire also. If it doesnt thoroughly burn in th ecombustion chamber it can pool in the exhaust and eventually get hot enough there to backfire out the exhaust.
Id say drain the tank and get some good gas in there.
-P.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:34 AM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

if the gas tank sat empty or almost empty (or even half full) then it could have developed a lot of rust inside of it, and then mixed with your new gas (i really hope you used new gas), and clogged your filter. i would change the filter first thing and see if that helps at all. its probably not 100% of the problem but its a good cheap starting point.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:15 AM
1985stang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chath_brick

if the gas tank sat empty or almost empty (or even half full) then it could have developed a lot of rust inside of it, and then mixed with your new gas (i really hope you used new gas), and clogged your filter. i would change the filter first thing and see if that helps at all. its probably not 100% of the problem but its a good cheap starting point.
+1, You should also clean all the sensors because i've heard about those getting dirty and screwin **** up (i have a carb so i don't have to worry about any )
Old 06-06-2007, 11:23 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 95MustangMan

Hello there, I am new to the forums, and was hoping I could get some help!

My dad owned a 1995 ford mustang gt 5.0, and for the last couple of years, he hasn't driven it once. It's sat outside for two years, unstarted, and unmoved. Now that you know this, before it sat, it ran beautifully and wonderfully.

I can now say that I own it, and it runs like crap now. After sitting for two years, it barely stays running, backfires ALOT, and sounds like it's only running on about two cylinders. You know what would cause this? I changed the plugs, dist, rotor, working on getting the wires changed this week hopefully. Also put some seafoam in it to see if I could get it cleaned out, but alot of the time it either won't start up, or it won't stay running long enough to drive it 2 feet.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. It say for two years, so I don't really thing anything has 'broken' on it, it may just be worn from sitting so long unused. Please let me know!

Thanks alot!
you sure thats not the reason he left it parked for several years?
Old 06-06-2007, 12:43 PM
yellow#5

alot of things come to mind..... has the batt been replaced yet or are you jumping it.... the computer may not be getting enough voltage..... how are the grounds??/.... have the codes been pulled.... how rusted up is the vane in the maf??? any debris in the maf??? there is alot of things it could be you need to narrow it down
Old 06-06-2007, 04:21 PM
95MustangMan

I'm positive that's not the reason. I lived with him when he was initially driving it. He left it sit because he ran into some financial trouble and it was costing too much for insurance a month, and the plates were almost 200 dollars to renew them.

As for the fuel filter, that is also on the agenda to be replaced. We used new gas, as well as gas and injector cleaner. I ran a check today using a diag tool from autozone, and it came back with an EGR valve problem. Researching that came back that that COULD be the reason it's backfiring. Timing wasn't messed with at all, so i'm doubting that could have gotten off.

By the way, the battery is brand new. That was the first thing that was replaced.

Going to recheck plugs and wires here today. They are a pain in the behind to get to them, as the motor is so compacted. Will keep you informed, and thanks for the replies!
Old 06-06-2007, 04:39 PM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

cool...yeah change that fuel filter and clean your MAF sensor before you mess with the EGR crap though. keep us posted!

Quick Reply: Trouble with the stang