5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

and boom goes the water pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 10:58 PM
adumb
3rd Gear Member

Default and boom goes the water pump

well i got my exhaust all setup... thing sounds mean bbk headers mac o/r h pipe into a flowmaster catback system. of coarse i had to take it for a beater run. on the way home i jump on thegas and it seems as if the waterpump wanted to end my fun. it completely just let go. antifreeze just pouring out the wep hole and it was making awefull noise. my question is, is the waterpump a self contained unit or can it destroy other things. also, i have never replaced one so i had another qustion. seems pretty straight forward to replace just take the belt and fan off drain the anti freeze and replace it right. anything i should watch out for or any inpsections i should do while i am replacing it.

thanks for any info
adam
Old 06-08-2007, 11:50 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: and boom goes the water pump

If you have air tools use them on the water pump bolts. The water pump bolts like to rust up and the shock from the air tools helps break the rusty bolts loose without snaping them.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:16 AM
adumb
3rd Gear Member

alright here is a dumb question... when i used gasket sealer do i put it on both sides of the gasket or only on one... if only on one side which side do i put it on
Old 06-09-2007, 03:28 AM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

hell i didny even us a gasket i used a lotta silicone... i woudlnt recommend it tho... i did it outta disperation... the gasket that came in my set didnt match... id say both sides wouldnt hurt nething tho
Old 06-09-2007, 08:45 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

you should use high tack gasket sealant, and but it on both sides.... let it cure for a few minutes before you install it as well

[IMG]local://upfiles/26017/205944D9E3FF466CB820ED7A941B66F4.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-09-2007, 10:48 AM
00limited7
2nd Gear Member

High tack FTMFW baby!!! I just did mine and watch out for the bolt behind the power stering pump. That B1tch snapped on me and I had to take the timing cover off to get it out. Use anti-sieze on the bolts when putting it back together.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:00 AM
dman302
3rd Gear Member

I like to follow the path of the gasket...EVERYWHERE, but into the bolt holes on both sides of the gasket. In doing so I feel safe there is no area that would allow coolant to escape. By everwhere I mean I leterally lay down sealant on all of the gasket surface, completely around bolt holes like one big old continuous bead. I also prefer the blue RTV sealant specific for liquids.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:37 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: adumb

well i got my exhaust all setup... thing sounds mean bbk headers mac o/r h pipe into a flowmaster catback system. of coarse i had to take it for a beater run. on the way home i jump on thegas and it seems as if the waterpump wanted to end my fun. it completely just let go. antifreeze just pouring out the wep hole and it was making awefull noise. my question is, is the waterpump a self contained unit or can it destroy other things. also, i have never replaced one so i had another qustion. seems pretty straight forward to replace just take the belt and fan off drain the anti freeze and replace it right. anything i should watch out for or any inpsections i should do while i am replacing it.

thanks for any info
adam
best to heat the bolts up and spray penetrating oil on while its hot. Id match the rusty ones up and get new one,s. They are notorious for breaking off[:'(]
Old 06-09-2007, 12:52 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

I'm planning on taking a trip to Ford and buying a new set of WP bolts
Old 06-09-2007, 03:09 PM
adumb
3rd Gear Member

well the new water pump is in... piece of cake like you guys said. for anyone who hasn't replaced one yet this is a prefect job to get your feet wet. i had never done one before and was pleasantly surprised who simple the task was.

now onto my questions. i want to make sure that something other then it being old cause it to break.

1. my fan looked like it was wobble before the pump went. could it be from the bump bearing being bad or could the fan have caused the pump to go.

2. is my routing of the belt ok. i want to make sure i have the pumpe going in the right direction. i am 99.9 percent sure. but we all know we have sweated a couple other things that are 99.9%

3. i have a weezing noise from somewhere in the hoses. is this normal when you drain all the fluid and have to put new stuff in. kinda sounds like when you open a soda slowly and let the carbonation leak out.

Quick Reply: and boom goes the water pump