5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

maf problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 04:44 PM
1fast5.0

Default maf problems

ok i have a 87 lx that has been converted to maf the problem that iam having is that when you run the car with maf disconnected it runs fine as soon as i plug in the maf it starts running like sh** and stalls i have a supercharger on the car could it be that because the supercharger belt is off the car isnt getting enough air the maf is calibrated for 24lb injectors and thats what i have and ideas what the problem could be.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:56 PM
1fast5.0

Default RE: maf problems

anyone??
Old 06-09-2007, 05:10 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

is the MAP sensor still connected to vac referance?

maybe the MAF is bad.. se if you can swap in a known good maf and see what it does
Old 06-09-2007, 05:21 PM
1fast5.0

i took the map sensor of a 89 it has no vac lines to it.and i know that the maf works i took it of a running car
Old 06-10-2007, 02:30 AM
jasonvri
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 1fast5.0

ok i have a 87 lx that has been converted to maf the problem that iam having is that when you run the car with maf disconnected it runs fine as soon as i plug in the maf it starts running like sh** and stalls i have a supercharger on the car could it be that because the supercharger belt is off the car isnt getting enough air the maf is calibrated for 24lb injectors and thats what i have and ideas what the problem could be.
What ecu are you using?
Is the MAF cal'd for this ecu?

Disconnecting the MAF will tell you absolutely nothing.

You need to start by pulling the diagnostic codes, and see what you get from that.

24's are likely too small for a decent amount of boost...

jason
Old 06-11-2007, 11:58 PM
navmust

Same problem with my 93 cobra.. Had a supercharger and it ran fine, I decided to take the superchrager off. It had a "big Air" Maf 6 wire maf.. I spliced the stock harnes for a 4 wire maf.. And I also took an extra chip that was added to the computer off..

It has the exact same problem as yours.. Idles fine without maf, as soon as i plug it in, the car starts to die...

I had it diagnosed, it came up with code 66, and 94..

66 = low maf voltage pin c

94 = Sumtin about hardline malfunction....
Old 06-12-2007, 12:08 AM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

nevermind...I thought it was ford info in general...sorry
Old 06-12-2007, 12:17 AM
navmust

I read what you are saying.. I tried different mafs that worked in other cars??? Im confused, dont know what to do..
Old 06-12-2007, 12:21 AM
settled4automatic
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: navmust

Same problem with my 93 cobra.. Had a supercharger and it ran fine, I decided to take the superchrager off. It had a "big Air" Maf 6 wire maf.. I spliced the stock harnes for a 4 wire maf.. And I also took an extra chip that was added to the computer off..

It has the exact same problem as yours.. Idles fine without maf, as soon as i plug it in, the car starts to die...

I had it diagnosed, it came up with code 66, and 94..

66 = low maf voltage pin c

94 = Sumtin about hardline malfunction....
does pin C receive voltage? or is it the signal to the computer?? if that supplies voltage to the MAF, then see why you don't have voltage there. is the MAF is supposed to put out voltage there, and its low, then check your connection at that harness --- look for bent/collapsed terminals, corrosion, etc. and if all the other wires have the appropriate voltages/grounds -- then it sounds like a MAF sensor.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:36 AM
navmust

Thanks man, I will check the connections real good.. The maf does get the ground, main voltage "12v", and like you said, the next reading which I think is pin c gets all kinda weird readings.. I'l try to check my connections asap and i'l see what happens...

I know its supposed to get .6v at idle and 2 volts at about 60mph...

Quick Reply: maf problems