5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

computer programmers for 5.0?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 04:58 PM
95gt302
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: computer programmers for 5.0?

what exactly does the tweecer do and how does it work also is it worth the money
Old 06-14-2007, 05:30 PM
94IVGT
2nd Gear Member

the PMS is expensive but its worth it. you dont need a laptop like the tweecer and is not complex and doasnt have the high learning curve like the tweecer. although both are good go with the PMS.youll have the control of everything in a little handheld digital controller. http://andersonfordmotorsport.com/
Old 06-14-2007, 05:32 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 95gt302

1- what exactly does the tweecer do and
2- how does it work also
3- is it worth the money

1- It allows you to tune your car on your own. It gives you complete control over the cars computer which, in turn, lets you control all aspects of spark advance, fuel delivery, air metering, transmission shift points, converter lock/unlock, shift pressure,emissions equipment , etc. If you know how to use it and are willing to put forth the effort, you can end up with a better tune than you would get from gonig to the dyno (usually because you can spend more time to perfect it, as opposed to a tuner that will just try to get you in and out as fast as possible so that he can move onto the next car.)

2- It connects to your car's computer via the J3 port. It then connects to a standard laptop via a USB cable. You use the laptop to make and changes and to monitor the car's systems while the car is running. You can monitor and record nearly anything you can imagine. Speed, RPM, short term fuel trims, long term fuel trims, A/F ratio, boost level, vaccum level, throttle position, TPS voltage, MAF airflow, MAF voltage, NB voltage, spark advance, gear in use, fuel pressure, load, coolant temp, air charge temp, etc...

3- It's an AWESOME deal. You can often get a unit for about the same price you would pay for a single dyno tune and chip. But with this, you cna change the tune as many times as you want. You can even store 4 tumes in the car and swap between tunes on the fly without having to turn the car off or anything. But you have to be willing to learn how to use it and how it works.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:40 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

hey sam, i just ordered my tweecer today along with the aem wideband guage and all that to tune and monitor with

Old 06-14-2007, 05:41 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94IVGT

the PMS is expensive but its worth it. you dont need a laptop like the tweecer and is not complex and doasnt have the high learning curve like the tweecer. although both are good go with the PMS.youll have the control of everything in a little handheld digital controller. http://andersonfordmotorsport.com/
I agree that the PMS is easier to use than the tweecer. But is having a steep learning curve necessarily a bad thing? I understand that in this age of instant gratification, people want to be able to hook up a device and gain 100 HP in 10 seconds. But if you don't know what you're doing, these devices can cause some serious damage to your engine.

Tweecer may have a steep learning curve, but that is because you have to basically learn to think like a ford engineer. You have to learn what the car's computer is doing. Then you have to understand why it is doing what it is doing. Once you know that, then you know what you have to tell the computer to do to make it function the way you want it to function. So you are almost forced to learn how the system works, which just may prevent you from screwing something up.

With a tweecer you have to understand the difference between the injector high slope and the injector low slope, and therefore learn the purpose of the breakpoint. You have to learn what happens to the breakpoint if the high slope and low slope are the same. You have to know how changing the slopes or breakpoint could alter your A/F ratio or how it could make your car idle rough. If it's idling rough, should you mess with the slopes and breakpoint or should you leave those as they are and move on to the MAF transfer?

Those are the things you learn when using a Tweecer. So when you have a problem or when the car is not running as desired, you know exactly where to look and you know why you are looking there. You aren't just guessing and changing numbers trying to "tune around" a problem. That's why i think that a steep learning curve is good...

If you know how the computer "thinks" and works, then it won't be a steep learning curve. If you don't know how it works, then perhaps you shouldn't be messing with it just yet.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:42 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94StinkinLincoln

hey sam, i just ordered my tweecer today along with the aem wideband guage and all that to tune and monitor with
Nice You're gonna love it! Don't hesitate to ask if you get stuck messing with stuff.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:01 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

i got a guy thats about an hr away that said he would help me tune my car YAY

now i got to get all the sensors & vack lines hooked up, stuff with pullies on, and few small stuff that is just time consuming and its gettin on my nerves! lol im about ready to get some1 whos delt with the sn95 over here to help me if me and my dad cant get it today.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:59 PM
blwn93gt
3rd Gear Member

i love my PMS computer, and i didnt have to spend 1500 for a laptop to go along with it
Old 06-15-2007, 01:08 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

If you're spendin $1,500 for a new laptop, then you've got bgger problems. Unless you want to try to play games or edit large movies on it, there's no reason to spend more than $450 - $500 on a new laptop. And you can run the tweecer software on laptops that are much cheaper than that.

Laptops aren't exactly hard to come by this day and age. I've got 7 in my house alone, lol. But only 5 work.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:14 PM
jasonvri
I ♥ Acer

Found my laptop on ebay for $350 !!!

I found that I don't need a home desk top either... this could be sold to recoupe the investment in a laptop...

My only concern with the PMS is how the LOAD signal is manipulated in the factory ecu. None of the PMS users I have spoken with have been able to answer this question. So, I recently purchased a PMS to find out for my self... it'll be a while before I can get around to doing this, but I am looking forward to it.

Basically the PMS works the same way a calibrated MAF meter works...
Inputs/Outputs are modified, without the ecu being aware of what is really going on.
How much of a difference does this make? I can't say for sure...
Plenty of folks do just fine with cal'd MAF meters, but (arguably) they are leaving something on the table by not tuning the ecu directly.

Please don't take this as a PMS bashing...
I actually look forward to learning more on the PMS, but most PMS users don't seem to be very aware of how the changes they make are really be interpretted by the ecu...

I would love to learn more on LOAD input from the MAF, and I think it would be a great addition to this thread...

jason

Quick Reply: computer programmers for 5.0?