5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

advanced autopart starters suck

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 09:54 AM
piedraco
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: advanced autopart starters suck

the 93 starter matched up fine. i had it bolted in already once and the screws went in fine no problem, its when i intorduced the spacer into the equation that it wouldnt line up right. the starter worked fine it just kept sticking for about 5 seconds after the car turned on making a horriblenoise.. I figure it was sticking because that starter was for a 93 and not an 89 maybe the thickness was different.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:55 AM
kev2369
3rd Gear Member

Yep, you got a starter for a 94-95 car... Thats when they stopped using the fender solenoid... Some people put the 94-95's on and call them a mini torque, even though they aren't... They are a little stouter than the fox ones... I work at Advance, and we do sell some ****ty parts, especially rebuilt alternators and starters, but the quality of the part has nothing to do with the fact that you put on the wrong starter and expected it to work...

As far as someone saying parts people don't know what they are talking about, i agree for the most part... They usually hire inexperienced people to work at advance, so they don't have to pay them much, and the customer suffers... But as far as not knowing simple stuff, the only reason we all know that the 94 starters are diff than the 93's is because we tend to know quite a bit more about these cars than other cars... Most people probably don't know the different starters that went on camaros or firebirds or chevy full size trucks on certain years...
Old 06-13-2007, 11:05 AM
piedraco
2nd Gear Member

up till now i didnt know anything about mustang, and I dont calim to know much yet but I have definitely learned alot rebuilding the engine and installing it, reading the haynes manual and the forums. I didnt notice that the starter was different until i had installed it and was wondering how to wire it up. I am going to take it to them today and ive spoken with the manager and they are going to exchange the starter for the right year one for me. In 93 they dleted the solenoid from the firewall, because the starter that they gave me is for a 93 I called and they check it out. tonight some grinding and some helicoil tapping etc. and the starter should work. anyone know how long it takes for those key on/off tests?
Old 06-13-2007, 02:42 PM
TwoToned306
2nd Gear Member

It's Advance not Advanced, and what probably happend is when they asked you what year your car was you told them " it dont matter there all the same" just like every other back yard mechanic that comes in for parts.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Swirl
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TwoToned306

It's Advance not Advanced, and what probably happend is when they asked you what year your car was you told them " it dont matter there all the same" just like every other back yard mechanic that comes in for parts.
The first thing I tell them is the make/model/year/engine size - :P
Old 06-13-2007, 03:22 PM
piedraco
2nd Gear Member

nah man i told them my year/make/model/engine....they are just ignorant...I consider myself a educated person. Those people that work in that store by my house are just a bunch of refs that cant speak english and dont the first thing about cars. I was on the west coast of Florida yesterday and I went into an Autozone to get some bolts for a license plate and the store was clean, everyone was nice, I was honestly shocked. Advance and Autozone in Miami are the complete opposite. They are a product of their environment, and Miami sucks as far as finding a reliable mechanic and so forth. You travel 20 or 30 minutes north into a different county and its like night and day, much more reliable.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:43 PM
blwn93gt
3rd Gear Member

last time i checked the fox mustang had nothing to do with a suburban. do yourself a favor man and do the job right. pull the transmission. you could either seperate the tranny from the bell housing first and it will be much easier to to get to the top two bolts. or remove the cross member from the tranny and lower the tail shaft down and use some long extensions and you can get the top two bolts. as far as fixing the hole either use a helicoil or get a new bellhousing from the junkyard. believe me they are easy to find.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:52 PM
piedraco
2nd Gear Member

I wish it was as easy as picking up a new bellhousing, its a T56 haha i fouled up. it was dark 1am. I was tired and just wanted the bolt to go in I forced it and now I screwed myself over big time. I think im gonig to loosen the motor mount nuts, loosen the the crossmember and drop the tranny, but before I do that im going to check to see if I can fit my drill in that tight spot and just drill out the hole and use a bolt instead wiht a locking nut in the back. That might be my easier option. I will take a look at it when I get home later on tonight after work.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:45 AM
piedraco
2nd Gear Member

dremels KICK ***...i grinded down the first couple of threads and re-threaded the hole with the bolt and it went right in. it starts smooth *** hell with that shim. awesome. advance autoparts still sucks though.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:43 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

you have a T56 in your car???

Quick Reply: advanced autopart starters suck