5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I now own one! with pics on the first page!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 07:39 PM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

Default RE: I now own one!

ORIGINAL: 86 5.0L

congrats now put it in ASAP and dont be like the 90mustang5.8 kid
but he has twin turbos and a jet engine on his!![8D]
Old 06-14-2007, 08:51 PM
mrbigshot
3rd Gear Member

the guy had it backwords, fuelie motors had different valve covers because the intake blocked the oil fill hole, its opposite on a carb motor. they work the same just different sides.they are not stock headers, they are tubular exaust manafolds. sence you are installing the engine change them now, do yourself a favor. you will also have the engine tore down, decide if you want to install a new cam or not. its easier now.
you said you were going to change the gaskets and seals, make sure you change the timing chain as its going to be due for a new one. its much easier if its on the bench rather than in the car.

you need a flywheel for a 50oz balancer (not the older 28oz), you need the accesory brackets, a double hump crossmember for the exaust not to nealry hit the ground, some fuel line mod's, and throttle linkage mods. you also need to figure out what you are doing to do for an ignition.

as far as the tranny 1 thing i dont know is clutches. i know the newer v8 cars have a 10.5 inch cluch, yours is smaller so i dont know if the tranny will work or not.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:17 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

I would highly recommend 'Fel-Pro' gaskets.
They make a real nice intake set and also a cam change kit that will have everything you need to service the timing chain.........
Old 06-14-2007, 10:54 PM
blkonblk5.0
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shelty

yup, well, I have 2 months to get the engine in, get it running,get it registered and legal.

It wont talk that long at all you have way more then enough time..I took my engine out did my whole rebuild, put it in and got it running real good in 9 days..and I worked everyday
Old 06-14-2007, 10:57 PM
90mustang5.8
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 86 5.0L

congrats now put it in ASAP and dont be like the 90mustang5.8 kid
i get flammed for being too busy? just promise no flaming once its in alright

....shelty congrats on the 5.0 btw
Old 06-15-2007, 12:10 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mrbigshot

the guy had it backwords, fuelie motors had different valve covers because the intake blocked the oil fill hole, its opposite on a carb motor. they work the same just different sides.they are not stock headers, they are tubular exaust manafolds. sence you are installing the engine change them now, do yourself a favor. you will also have the engine tore down, decide if you want to install a new cam or not. its easier now.
you said you were going to change the gaskets and seals, make sure you change the timing chain as its going to be due for a new one. its much easier if its on the bench rather than in the car.

you need a flywheel for a 50oz balancer (not the older 28oz), you need the accesory brackets, a double hump crossmember for the exaust not to nealry hit the ground, some fuel line mod's, and throttle linkage mods. you also need to figure out what you are doing to do for an ignition.

as far as the tranny 1 thing i dont know is clutches. i know the newer v8 cars have a 10.5 inch cluch, yours is smaller so i dont know if the tranny will work or not.
whats wrong with the tubular manifolds? aside from the smaller diameter pipes and all that? and how much will a timing chain run me/how hard is it to replace? the trans will work, its just a C4... nothing fancy... as for ignition, I'll go with a mallory or MSD box or something... gotta see what is the best deal. I just got home from work, so I'll see if I can post the pics, gotta remember my photobucket password[&:]

some of the mods for the throttle and fuel lines wont be too bad. I can get fittings, and my grandpa has a lathe and other machining tools, so he could even make a couple brackets or some connectors... I know I can get the rest from bone yards... I presume that accessory brackets on non HO 5.0s are the same?

I cant wait till she is in, its so badass having that powerful beast in my possession now. plus having the biggest motor in the house (not the fastest though... yet... my mom's '05 beats me) is super cool[8D]

Old 06-15-2007, 12:23 AM
302f150
3rd Gear Member

so, you have a non HO 5.0?
Old 06-15-2007, 12:46 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

no, I have an '87HO 5.0... I was just assuming that since the non HO 5.0's are the same size and shape, that they would have the same style accessory brackets... (lots of old crown vics and LTDs in the pocono junkyards...
Old 06-15-2007, 12:47 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

here are a few pics....
the engine is in my shed right now...
(I cant figure out how to link the photos...)

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...7/DSCF0018.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...7/DSCF0017.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...7/DSCF0021.jpg

here is the car
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...7/DSCF0022.jpg
here is my doofy butt with the car...
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...7/DSC_0007.jpg
here is the interior
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...7/****-pit.jpg

Old 06-15-2007, 12:50 AM
90mustang5.8
I ♥ Acer

is that really you?

Quick Reply: I now own one! with pics on the first page!