5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Intake and kenne bell question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 02:49 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Intake and kenne bell question...

ORIGINAL: 7upedition

okay... your right, but putting aside the fact you'd be a retard to install a $4000 s/c onto a stock lower intake with stock heads, most guys are gonna spend a couple hundred bucks on the much better flowing GT-40 lower... your silly[sm=icon_guiness.gif]
Yeah, it will absolutely suck ***** with the stock kit and you are better off getting the upgraded kit / setup. Then again, I'm not a big KB fan. Never cared for the twin screw blowers. Instant power can be a good thing but it can also be bad. Plus it's not quite as easy to keep them cool. I prefer a nice little centrifugal blower
Old 06-21-2007, 02:51 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

And given how cheap you can get a GT40 lower for... I bought an entire turnkey Explorer engine for $350. That was a great deal. I sold the intake and heads but still have the rest of it. Looknig around locally, gt-40 lowers are dirt cheap and are well worth the upgrade price. You'll regret it if you stick with the stock route.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:53 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

samseed how'd you make out hp wise with that explorer build? or are you still building it?
Old 06-21-2007, 02:53 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

if you end up gettin the KB let me know on performace because i hear so much different info on if kb. it gets too hot, lose power, its awesome power all the time. i dunno im so torn if i should get one or not when it comes time, i love the sounds and the website make it look insane.......but then again you always hear different
Old 06-21-2007, 03:02 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

I was at a car show last night and a local guy with a 90 notch has a gt-40 crate motor with a rebuilt t5 tranny amd he installed a KB 2.2 onto it this past spring, he had a lot of dyno tuning to do, but he says it pulls hard all the way from 1krpm to 5krpm... granted his motor and tranny are brand new, 1 year ago 2500miles, but he has a monster cold air intake and a 90mm lightning maf... i suppose it's all in the tune becaue i've heard mixed reviews in the past also. He rebuilt his car from the unibody up... every single piece...replaced/refurbished/repaired... this car is cherry!
Old 06-21-2007, 03:15 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

samseed how'd you make out hp wise with that explorer build? or are you still building it?
Lol,. it never even hit the dyno. I got it toget er and put about 2 miles on it during the winter. Never got on it hard because it wasn't tuned. Then I realized that by the time I was done, the increased power would require me to get bigger injectors (again,) a bigger pump (again,) a new stroger tranny (again,) would need to get the elbow adapter, a new intake spacer, new strut tower brace, and I forget all of the other stuff but it was a huge list.

In the end I decided that I was going to pretty much place it back the way it was, minus a few changes, and keep teh power levels down to where they were before.

I ended up keeping the Steeda #19 camshaft installed because it was too much effort to take that back out. I also did end up putting in a 255lph pump anyway. But the stock heads and intake went back on (after being cleaned up slightly.) I also put a blow through 76mm MAF on there to replace the stock draw through that was pegging anyway.

Before the swap I had 320rwhp on the blower, 430 on the bottle. Not sure what it is now but I suspect it will be slightly higher due to the better MAF, cam, and tune via the tweecer. I am also working on adding a dry stage to my existing nitrous wet kit so that I can spray it right off the line for a little extra boost. That's not even close to completed yet, as I need to figure out how I am going to do it (either before or after the MAF, depending on some other factors.)

But that's my story on that. I sold the intake for $200 and the heads for $250. I still have the rest of the aprts in my basement. If anything, I think I am going to stroke it to a 347 and sell it or toss it in a junker in the near future.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:16 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

The KB will get hot and lose power over time as it gets hotter. You can see this on a dyno after several runs. Also, icing it down doesn't have the effect you'd expect. They are good blowers, but they can't deny that one problem.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:24 AM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

buy a set of RHS 180cc heads, Canfield 190cc, or AFR 185cc heads. Dont waste your money on the Twisted Wedges.

and get a custom cam from camshaft innovations.
+1 i agree dont was cash on TW, Innovations makes great cams too

ORIGINAL: One Bad ****

so is the cobra intake the same thing as a gt40?
yea if u can find a cheap cobra it might be worth it... the lower will work on KB
Old 06-22-2007, 12:46 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: samseed101

KB specifies that you need to use a GT-40 lower only! And take addermk's advice on the heads, those Canfields are pretty sweet...
Not necessarily true. You can get the KB kit with a stock lower. You have to tell them which one you have when you order.
The Blowzilla only comes with the GT40 style runners.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:33 PM
One Bad MOFO
2nd Gear Member

KB specifies that you need to use a GT-40 lower only! And take addermk's advice on the heads, those Canfields are pretty sweet...
where would I find the canfields, i was leaning towards the afr's cuz i couldn't really find anywhere to buy the canfields, but if those are better, maybe i'll go with those...

Quick Reply: Intake and kenne bell question...