5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Shifting/Transmission Problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 05:52 PM
5pony0
1st Gear Member

Default Shifting/Transmission Problems!!!

Hey Everyone,

I've been having some transmission problems fora while now. It does not shift smooth at all. I'll have the clutch pressed down to the floor and it still wont go into 1st gear or any gear for that matter. Then I'll release and re press the clutch, but it still won't work. I feel like I have to shove it in gear sometimes. Sometimes it won't let me shift OUT of gear either, even when I try the clutch again. Then at other times, it will shift just fine, as if there's nothing wrong.

Also, whenever I try to shift into reverse, it grinds like crazy!! Again, I release the clutch and press it again, but it still grinds. Usually I have to put it into first gear then into reverse so that doesn't happen. But sometimes It won't let me shift into first at all!!!

Then today, I had the same shifting problems where it wouldn't let me shift into gears. I finally got it in gear when I hear what sounds like a metal ring spinning loosely adn rattling in the transmission(underneath and infront of the shifter). As I continued to drive about two blocks it magically went away.

Transmission was rebuilt about 55K miles ago and I had a new Centerforce I clutch installed 2 months ago.

Anyone know WTF is wrong here?

----------------------------------------
1990 GT stock motor & trans.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:31 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Shifting/Transmission Problems!!!

did u replace the throwout bearing when u did the clutch?
Old 06-23-2007, 06:42 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

check your linkage.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:13 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

Check the fluid level, if they are low on fluid, they will not shift like they are suppose to. Fill with automatic tranny fluid until it pores out the fill hole.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:07 PM
5pony0
1st Gear Member

Throwout bearing was replaced along with the clutch, flywheel was cut/resurfaced, FMS self adjusting clutch cable/quadrant, and the trans fluid was drained and replaced. (the shop told and showed me the old trans fluid...it was metallic looking)

As for the linkage....you mean the clutch linkage? I forgot to mention a light buzz/vibrating sound coming from the clutch pedal by the firewall somewhere. It goes away when I press the pedal, but comes back with my foot off it.

Also, when ever i downshift and stop at a light, i usually leave it in first with my foot on the clutch. even with the pedal pressed down where I can shift, it will some times vibrate somewhere in the driveline. I'll have to floor the clutch pedal to make it stop vibrating.

The clutch pedal is also jerkey and hard as hell...definately not smooth. when i slowly release the pedal i can feel the pedal pressure lighten off my foot before the pedal jumps to meet my foot. I can hear and feel what can be best described as creaking when using the clutch.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:34 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5pony0

Throwout bearing was replaced along with the clutch, flywheel was cut/resurfaced, FMS self adjusting clutch cable/quadrant, and the trans fluid was drained and replaced. (the shop told and showed me the old trans fluid...it was metallic looking)

As for the linkage....you mean the clutch linkage? I forgot to mention a light buzz/vibrating sound coming from the clutch pedal by the firewall somewhere. It goes away when I press the pedal, but comes back with my foot off it.

Also, when ever i downshift and stop at a light, i usually leave it in first with my foot on the clutch. even with the pedal pressed down where I can shift, it will some times vibrate somewhere in the driveline. I'll have to floor the clutch pedal to make it stop vibrating.

The clutch pedal is also jerkey and hard as hell...definately not smooth. when i slowly release the pedal i can feel the pedal pressure lighten off my foot before the pedal jumps to meet my foot. I can hear and feel what can be best described as creaking when using the clutch.
maybe they did a bad job. id try adjusting the clutch before you do anything.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:15 AM
onetrickpony
3rd Gear Member

Sound like a bad install. Or the tranny was not rebuilt properly.