5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

heads, cam, rr's etc and a tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 09:01 PM
1BIGMOFO
5th Gear Member

Default heads, cam, rr's etc and a tune

I have a 94 gt 5.0

I have the funds to do heads, a cam, roller rockers, pushrods, and fuel injectors and a mass air flow sensor. I know my car will need to be tuned after this so I have that in the budget too. Am I missing anything?

I want to get afr heads, I dont know if I should go with 165's?? also I would like to get scorpian roller rockers, I have no idea where to go for a good cam or what to expect to pay for a good one.. I think 24# injectors is plenty for what I will have and I dont know what to do for a maf.

This is a list of what I have done to my car. Any suggestions would greatly help.. Thanks

The car has upr adjustible upper control arms, lakewood traction bars. 4.10 gears and kyb agx 8 position adjustible gas shocks and struts. The car also has an energy suspension master polyurithane bushing kit (replaces every bushing in the car)! Also upr 4 way adjustible caster camber plates. The car has an eibach drop kit in it. Also has brembo drilled slotted rotors, and hand painted calipers. The transmission is automatic AODE and has been pulled and built to the max with all kevlar bands, a B&M shift kit. A B&M transmission cooler kit. Also has a 2800 custom built stall converter. The car also has ford racing ball joints and all 4 ty-rod ends(inners and outers)Also an energy suspension sway bar end kit. The Mustang fetures a stock Block with a new ford racing oil pan, pick up tube and high flow oil pump with hd shaft. Car has a superchip. Also 195lph holley fuel pump, aeromotive fuel pressure regulator, ford racing 19# fuel injectors, and a liquid filled schrader valve fuel pressure gauge with an extention. The bbk cold air intake feeds air to the edelbrock 70mm throttle body, and the edelbrock elbow andup and into an edelbrock performer II upper intake. A trick flow 1" intake spacer. Back down to a edelbrock performer II lower intake. the car had a ful msd ignition system including an MSD 6al box w/ revlimiter an MSD pro billit distributer, cap and rotor. MSD 9mm built red wires and autolite racing spark plugs. MAC headers, MAC off road H pipe into an SLP loudmouth cat back. The car also has a brand new high flow water pump. with a Mr.GAsket 180 Degree thermostat in a Chrome Ford Racing water outlet. The car also has MAC pullys, a ford racing ac eliminator and a smog pump eliminator kit, with a new belt. Also a red top optima dry call battery. The car has a stock block/pistons/heads/cam/ etc right now

Thanks again guys.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:30 PM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

Default RE: heads, cam, rr's etc and a tune

LOL kind of alot to read there. But sounds like you've got the right idea. AFRs valve springs aren't as good as twisted wedge heads, so ive heard the TWs are best if you just want an out of the box head. Thats what i would go with. Cam depends alot on how you will be using the car (track/street) so its hard to suggest something. I would just go with a trickflow stage one so you don't have to notch the pistons and its very streetable. You can get cams at many online parts stores that i listed below. A cam will run you around $170. The the 24# injectors should be perfect with your h/c/i setup.

www.summitracing.com

www.jegs.com

Old 06-23-2007, 10:50 PM
89saleen372

My set up is very similar. AFR165s, Typhoon upper and lower, 24lb inj, custom cam (Ed Curtis), SCT chip and tune. I added double roller timing chain and had my lower intake ported by TMoss while I had it off. I also upgraded the springs since you are supposed to if you will be reving past 6K. However, with my dyno sheet, 6K was the right shift point so I probably could have stayed with the stock springs. If you are interested in brand new stock springs for AFR165 let me know.You will need to recalibrate MAS to 24lb. I think you will need different spark plugs also. I replaced my water pump for good measure while it was off.

I personally think that for the amount you are investing, it is worth getting a custom cam from a reputable source. Mine was $325 delivered. You can tell them exactly how you plan to use the car and they will be able to give you what you want if they are good. I told Ed that this was not a track car and thatI wanted a good idle, good gas milage, but that I did not want to waste the potential of the heads.The cam is critical in determining how your idle will be, how you mpg will be, and how everything will work together. Let me know how it works out. I ended up at 283 rwhp and I think 296 ft-lbs. (Not enough!) Good luck!
Old 06-23-2007, 11:32 PM
brian766

you won't be disappointed with the AFR 165 heads, just make sure you get the ones with the upgraded valve springs. I also like the idea of getting a custom cam.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:01 AM
1BIGMOFO
5th Gear Member

sweet guys anyone ele have anyhting?
Old 06-24-2007, 03:15 AM
Mustangkiler
5th Gear Member

steeda cam for 1.7s, trickflow for 1.6s. Get a lightning or ProM mass air flow sensor.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:34 AM
1BIGMOFO
5th Gear Member

how big of a mass air folow? I was thinking of getting scorpian 1.6's
How does the mount for them work.? there is stud mount, is that the better one? Thanks
Old 06-24-2007, 10:49 AM
1BIGMOFO
5th Gear Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...spagenameZWDVW

these are the heads I want, do I want 59cc or 61cc chaimbers? and stud or pedistol mount for my rr's? Thanks
Old 06-24-2007, 02:10 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

If you're going with new rockers you might as well go with stud as i've heard they are stronger, but unless you're running a huge lift pedestal would be fine. I've heard the 58cc heads have a better chamber design, go with 58 if you want higher compression than the 61s would offer.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:25 PM
backfire2007
2nd Gear Member

If I could do my combo all over I would go w/ the TFS-1, supposed to be better than the E cam. other than that youre on the right track

Quick Reply: heads, cam, rr's etc and a tune