5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Check Engine light after some changes

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 02:35 PM
goathead75
3rd Gear Member

Default Check Engine light after some changes

Okay, so I just put a new BBK h-pipe on with brand new O2 sensors (replaced stock h-pipe and o2's) and it's been running real good. I did notice a good drop in gas mileage and also at times it smells like it's running a little rich. Yesterday my wife took the car out and was at a stoplight and went to take off and it sputtered and bucked starting off in first gear and the check engine light was on, then she shifted intosecond and the chugged and bucked again, then the light went off and it ran fine? So I took it out after it sat for a bit and when I first started it, it smelled like it was running rich and the cel was on. I took it up the road and it drove good. The cel went off after about a minute or so. Any ideas? I've got a hand held code reader that I haven't used before so I'll try that this afternoon, anyone know how to use one of those?

Now that I'm typing, I'm wondering if it could be the mass air meter, I'll have to check the tubing when I get home too. Also, does anyone know where to get the codes on-line?

By the way, full list of mods/car - 93 LX, underdrive pullies, 180 deg thermostat, K&N filter, aftermarket mass air (not sure, came with the car), bbk catted h-pipe, tps adjusted to .97...that's all I can think of for now.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:22 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Check Engine light after some changes

DIY KOEO/KOER/Cylinder Balance Self-Test
Old 06-25-2007, 04:52 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

Changing the O2 sensors will give you a light...your computer was used to running dirty O2 sensors.....

Now that they are new, the readings the computer is getting are different. The computer does not know that they are new, it just thinks it is getting more air, therefore compensating with gas (hence the richness)...

Old 06-25-2007, 05:15 PM
goathead75
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for that site, looks good.

The o2 thing makes some sense, but shouldn't the computer "learn" the difference or should I disconnect the battery and reset it?
Old 06-25-2007, 06:08 PM
adumb
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CantStopTheFox...

Changing the O2 sensors will give you a light...your computer was used to running dirty O2 sensors.....

Now that they are new, the readings the computer is getting are different. The computer does not know that they are new, it just thinks it is getting more air, therefore compensating with gas (hence the richness)...

i put new o2 sensors in with my new exhaust and i also get a light after about 15min of driving... what are you sapost to do if you put in new sensors then. i have never heard of a car giving a light for new sensors
Old 06-25-2007, 06:56 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CantStopTheFox...

Nope....it doesn't work that way.....the sensors are either good or bad, ....if they don't provide the signal within the acceptable range, it fails.

i put new o2 sensors in with my new exhaust and i also get a light after about 15min of driving... what are you sapost to do if you put in new sensors then. i have never heard of a car giving a light for new sensors
Are you sure the CEL was turning on due to the O2s....(codes 41,91,42, or 92)?....don't gue$$...... DIY KOEO/KOER/Cylinder Balance Self-Test
Old 06-25-2007, 08:00 PM
adumb
3rd Gear Member

joel,
no i am not totally sure. you gave me some advice in my other post and i am going to disconnect the battery and do it with the car warm. last time i did it with the car cold and i have been doing alot of other mods so some of the codes may have been stored...
Old 06-26-2007, 12:41 AM
goathead75
3rd Gear Member

Okay 2 things tonight, I found my coolant leak...when the friggin' hose going through the TB let go...but anyway, after I fixed that I was driving and the cel came on and it started driving stupid for a little bit, then was fine. I pulled the codes tonight KOEO and got 67 and 66. I haven't had the chance to run a diag with it running yet. I didn't want to wake the neighbors.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:08 AM
adumb
3rd Gear Member

this is what those two codes mean

66 - , MAF signal below minimum test voltage of .4vdc (O,M,R), Transmission Fluid Temperature Circuit Grounded (M,O)
67 - Park Neutral Position Switch Circuit Open; A/C On -Manual (O), Manual Lever Position Sensor Out Of Range/A/C On (M,O), Clutch Switch Circuit Failure (M)

shouldn't your numbers be in a three digit format. this whole code thing is a little confusing to me still
Old 06-26-2007, 01:24 AM
goathead75
3rd Gear Member

I think the 3 digit codes are 94+, but not sure. MAF makes sense why it would run like a steaming pile. A/c clutch makes sense since I have it disconnected right now. Ah....figures.

Quick Reply: Check Engine light after some changes