5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Is there a fix for this design flaw in 87-93 mustangs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 04:40 PM
import slayer
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Is there a fix for this design flaw in 87-93 mustangs?

ORIGINAL: Aliate X

I mean honestly, if your making a left turn long enough to make your car stall out, then you need to stop driving in circles or something. Or stop doign left hand donuts.
Always a comedian somewhere. No, I don't drive in circles or do donuts. It will do it going off a long off ramp or sharp right turns........... and it's right hand turns..not left.
Although, I do hear something banging around in the tank when it's almost empty. Could that be a broken baffle that was mentioned earlier?

Old 01-11-2005, 04:41 PM
import slayer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Obsol3te

Never experianced it.
But time for a fuel cell?
A fuel cell for a daily driver? It's my 88GT...not my 82GT
Old 01-11-2005, 05:37 PM
ldstang50
2nd Gear Member

i had this happen wiht my 87gt while road racing. the only thing i can think of is to make a trap door like they do for the svt contour oil pans. it traps the oil in a dish allowing the oil to flow in but not out. that way you always have oil. it would be the same concept basically, but thats a lot of work; dropping the tank, opening it up. Sounds like you need a fuel cell if its that bad
Old 01-11-2005, 07:39 PM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

I thought there is a system for that. If you look down into my tank, not sure if they did this for the older ones, but on the right side where the fuel pump is, it's slightly deeper, there's a small pit so the gas goes there automatically right under the pump and there's a metal flap to the left of that dip so when it goes to that dip, that flap blocks it from moving out of the dip and to the left of the tank. I have never had this problem, maybe that little set up in my tank is helping that??
Old 01-11-2005, 08:37 PM
bobby
5th Gear Member

what is a good REPLACEMENT tank to go with? i saw a cobra one on steeda but it was like 12oo bucks [] why is it better?
Old 01-11-2005, 09:19 PM
Trannyman
1st Gear Member

I had this exact same problem on my 90 lx. I dropped the fuel tank to have a look. What I found was that the baffle had broken loose from it's solder joints and slid to the other side of the tank. In the process of sliding, it bent the bracket the fuel pump sat in and I'm positive it's the reason my sending unit doesn't work anymore. (I found the baffle that far over) I straightened out the bracket the fuel pump sits in and repositioned the baffle and dropped the fuel pump/pickup/sock back down inside the baffle. ATM that's all that's holding the baffle in place. I also changed the filler neck gasket while I had it out. Only sure fire fix is to get a new tank. I haven't had problems with the baffle sliding again, but, I think it's just a matter of time. That or it's beating the crap out of my fuel pump. Either way, I'm going to be getting a new tank/fuel pump/sending unit one of these days.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:42 PM
5.0mustang5speed
I ♥ Acer

i had a 92 z28 that did the same thing..make a right hand turn at 1/4 tank..it was like running out of gas
Old 11-19-2006, 07:58 PM
Eminembdg

WOW! I'm glad I found someone else with this same problem. Trannyman, I also have this problem with my 88 GT, my fuel gauge doesn't work but I figured out the mpg and when the tank is low and I make a sharp right hand turn the engine stalls. Maybe this is also the problem with my fuel level sending unit. I'm gonna run it dry and drop the tank and see if I have this baffle problem which is making my fuel gauge not work and my Stang stall with low gas.

Is is a big project to drop the tank and replace it?
Old 11-19-2006, 08:04 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

ive had the tank lower than redline

also done donuts with not alot of gas
Old 11-19-2006, 08:10 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

this happened to me one time when i parked on a hill. luckily one of my friends had a gas can.[&:]

Quick Reply: Is there a fix for this design flaw in 87-93 mustangs?