5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Atempted to RIP ME OFF!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 01:39 PM
black95_5.0

Default RE: Atempted to RIP ME OFF!!!!!!!

you should tell the guy for that price, he should be installing a brand new 9' posi rear end, and the gears.. jesus christ the guy must be on rocks.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:20 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

Exactly, is he throwing in a new paint job with that gear change.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:11 PM
619socalstang
3rd Gear Member

If you were to take your car to the dealership and ask them to istall a set of gears they possibly would do a complete rebuild including gears, shims, seals, bearings, and posi rebuild and all shop fees and hourly charge it would be right around 1200 bucks,
Old 01-13-2005, 04:37 PM
OfficerEd

Stay away from those places. It is hard to find an honest wrench to do things beyond what we do on our own or do not have the environment / facility for. I am not a street-cop anymore... I currently make my living tracking down the person(s) involved in rip-off operations, unlicensed, uninsured, price gouging illegal businesses etc... If any MustangForum member ever gets ripped off or has some other problem with a coporation/company etc... send me a e-mail and I'll supply you with the bone-head owners home address and phone number. There is nothing worse than these people. They prey on the innocent and stumble across people like us once in a great while and we tell'em to go shove it! (I also investigate enviornmental crimes involving business/industry which is kind'a funny since I'm searching e-bay for a good deal on a off-road H-pipe! he...he...he) Go into any S--rs auto repair and you'll see girls in tears filling out credit card applications because their front brake pads just turned into $2000 in bull-crap. My partner, OfficerBob, his daughter, instead of calling him, took her 2000 toyota to Aa--o because she thought the gear-box was making noise. It turned out to be brake-pads. That SOB tried to get her for $3000 gear-box rebuild. We immediately rescued the car. The transmission was pefect (I hate to admit this but it was one of the best shifting cars I have ever driven, not like rowing through my BorgWarner. We also called the owner at his home. He was not happy...these people have 100s of people who keep this kind of thing away from them. We called him X-mas eve! They immediately released the car, it was hostage for $400...the supposed cost of looking at the inside of the gear box!
My favorites to help peole with: car dealerships and warranty companys. They are usually quite wealthy, well hidden and own lots of them. Never do anything over the phone right away. I'll find a fax number for you first, then fax a well thought-out unemotional bold-font letter that will arrive at multiple locations for all to read etc...sorry for rambling but I hate these scum.
Ed
Old 01-13-2005, 05:24 PM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

Now theres a good post.....

91hatchgt - It wasnt at a dealership, just some regular place.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:16 PM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Perhaps you should try doing it yourself, if you find a good guide online about ring&pinion installation please let us in on it!
Old 01-13-2005, 08:03 PM
95Stealth302
4th Gear Member

It'll take no longer than an hour to do it, the hardest part is getting the old bearing off of the pinion as well as removing your ABS sensors (they friggen grow into the brake plates). At least that's how it is on my 95, good luck, and tell all your buddies to stay away from that shop, print some propeganda and ticker tape the streets, they you can start to boycott. That'd be great.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:06 PM
bobby
5th Gear Member

a lesser set of gears! lol, mine are PTP there a richmond brand, same price as ford, like 180, y frined has em in his 8 second truck, lmao!
Old 01-13-2005, 08:35 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

I have a little on my chest. Yeah when we do a set of gears at our Ford dealership...we do everything so there's no COME BACKS. Guy just finished one today. New gears, bearings, seals, AXLES AND a pinion yoke! The reason for the axles and yoke was because new seal would have LEAKED. It's like doing all four ball joints on a truck instead of just the lowers. IF you going to a seven course meal, you dig in, and do it right. I'm not bashing on OfficerEd or anything, but don't appreciate it when people bash on dealerships. We try and do everything right and COMPLETELY so that it will prbably last longer than the vehicle. Now let's say a shop did your gear half-assed, and now you have a pinion seal leak, you think they're going to fix it for free? Perhaps, but most likely you're going to be buying a yoke that you could have gotten in the first place and eating the extra labor that could have been saved. The only reason that dealers' estimates are higher, is because we use the best parts, and all the parts to do the job right the first time. We'd never use a rear end rebuild kit from NAPA or CarQuest, you can't always trust some parts from chain stores. Thank you...have a nice day..
Old 01-13-2005, 09:17 PM
91redLX

ORIGINAL: Demon_Mustang

Perhaps you should try doing it yourself, if you find a good guide online about ring&pinion installation please let us in on it!
Randy's Ring & Pinion and Yukon both have good guides on installing your own.... It's more about having the right tools and patients then it is hard.... I've done 4.88's in the Dana 30 & 44 in my jeep , 4.10's and rebuilt the Trac-Loc in my Stang'.. I had never seen the inside of a diff. before I did my Jeep.

Here's a ink to a really good set of instructions on both installing gears and rebuilding the L/S http://www.corral.net/tech/drivetrain/gears.html

Quick Reply: Atempted to RIP ME OFF!!!!!!!