5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

catalytic converter...cheap fix?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 10:44 PM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: catalytic converter...cheap fix?

ORIGINAL: samseed101

Cats are very cheap to repair. All you need is a good solid broom handle or long metal bar.
+1
I used a short piece of rebar but one of the cats is at an angle you cant get to it with our cutting the pipe. what I did was cut it off at the weld, knocked the catiylist out, then ground down the old weld a little, mig welded it back together, then put a little salt water to cool it, put a little oil on it and ran it so it "aged' to look like the original weld. That way when they pass the mirror under the car it still looks like the original weld.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Mustang Boy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bmennen07
Can I just gut the converter and not have any problems? Daddy says I cant cause I need back pressure or my valves will be fried. is this true or not?

i dont mean this in a mean way but your dad doesnt know what he is talkin about cause for about 70 years cars were run without cats on them with absolutely no problems at all the only way you will fry the valves like he says is if you run the car with no manifold or header on it

Old 07-10-2007, 12:16 AM
bmennen07
2nd Gear Member

lol k. my dad is use to growing up with older cars like 67 chevelle and stuff hes not really up to current times.

anyways, i didnt really get the broom thing. I was thinking about just cutting the converter off and then going to the exhaust pros shop and buying the pipe to replace the converter. cops in my state dont care at all about it.

So I basically i just cut off the converter, and stick the pipe in its place, and weld it together?

sorry im a newb but im learning. thanks for the help.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:17 AM
1995mustang818
2nd Gear Member

if u dont have alot of money just cut them out and have some one weld a peice of pipe in for you
Old 07-10-2007, 12:30 AM
bmennen07
2nd Gear Member

the only problem is I think its illegal for the shop to fix my exhaust without a converter in it isnt it?
Old 07-10-2007, 01:49 AM
1995mustang818
2nd Gear Member

yes it is some people are willing to do it but they dont give you a paper or recipt that says what they did to the car
Old 07-10-2007, 07:02 AM
goathead75
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattdel

the stock converters dont have heat shields built onto them. the shielding is part of the undercarriage, built into the car.

anyway, you wont bend valves. there wont be a lack of back pressure unless you take the whole exhaust off and run open headers. then you will start messin stuff up.
Want pics? I spent time laying under the car pulling them off so I'm 100% positive on this. There were sheilds both on the top and the bottom of the cat. There may be sheilding on the undercarriage as well, but I can guarantee you that they have them....or in my case, had them.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:16 PM
bmennen07
2nd Gear Member

so i took it down to a guy my parents know pretty well. He is making a custom H pipe to replace it, im just supposed to keep it on theDL .
Old 07-10-2007, 03:27 PM
goathead75
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bmennen07

so i took it down to a guy my parents know pretty well. He is making a custom H pipe to replace it, im just supposed to keep it on theDL .
Nice! Is he throwing some hi-flows in it for you? Don't forget about having to go through emissions if you need to. Hopefully it works out to be cheaper for ya.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:51 PM
bmennen07
2nd Gear Member

well he made a custom h pipe for me for the back 2. It sound mean now!! Turns out I still hear the same god awful noise. The front 2 are bad as well. Didnt know my car had 4 CONVERTERS!! ughh.

He is putting h pipe in the front 2 tomorrow as well, for free

No converters at all!! idk what hi flows are but he moved the air flow something or nother and it runs great right now, cant wait till tomorrow!!

my town has no emissions stuff or anything like that and plus my uncle is the head of the police department and I know every cop by first and last name so if they pull me over they usually just punch me really hard and tell my parents if something happens.

Quick Reply: catalytic converter...cheap fix?