5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Doing gears

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 07:38 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default Doing gears

First off I'm going to leave the ratio out of discussion for this thread, already decided and need no input there. BTW we are talking about 1994 Mustang GT Vert, 5 speed.

What I need to know, is what all should I replace while I go in there? The "power" mods are going to mainly just be a full exhaust for now. Eventually we will add more intake, head and ignition related upgrades (like advanced timing with premium fuel) but nothing major... yet.

With my next paycheck I'm going to order the ring and pinion from "americanmuscle.com", the Ford Racing set. Any input there? I have heard the Ford Racing gear sets seem to go in easy and are quiet.

I was also going to get an install kit with all the shims, bearings and seals, and also replace the axle seals/bearings while I'm in there, and probably rebuild the limited slip.

Eventually we may get stickier tires on the back, but that won't be for a while. After the gear swap we have to do some wear and tear fixes.

I'm just wondering what else I should get, and WHERE should I get these parts for the best price.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-10-2007, 08:09 AM
1985stang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Doing gears

I'm not sure of the cheapest prices, but everything you listed sounds like a good idea.People usually getthe gears, install kit, and trac-loc rebuild kit. I wish I had some gears, damn 2.73's [:@]
Old 07-10-2007, 09:25 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

If your not planning on drag racing it (its a vert, why would you) then you only need to overhaul the rear. buy a full, or master, rebuild kit. It should include:
Axle bearings
axle seals
carrier bearings
carrier shims
pinion seal
pinion bearing
pinion shims
crush collar
cover gasket

I would also strongly recommend rebuilding your trac-lok. rebuild kits run about $45 for the trac-lok
Old 07-10-2007, 09:36 AM
dillon1340
4th Gear Member

if you're doing it yourself you might want to buy some tools that will make it easier. like a slide hammer and bearing/seal install tool. you can get the axle bearing out with a long piece of pipe if you don't have the slide hammer.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:40 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

these links might help as well..

How to install your own gears!!! - Corral Forums
Angelfire Gear Installation
Old 07-13-2007, 07:43 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

hey thanks guys. I'm gonna buy all the parts myself, and I have several possible guys lined up willing to help and/or put them in for me, all of which have access to the proper tools and micrometers for setting clearances.

We may take it to the strip some day? Maybe not... it will probably mostly see street racing, honestly, if anything.

I'm hopin to get the car to run somewhere in the 13s realistically and if the budget ever allows 12s.. maybe I'm just talkin out my butt but it's a shared project in which the funding for everything is split, so things will be easier to come by!

addermk2... that looks like a great set of parts I will buy, however, WHERE do you suggest I get them? I was thinking about ordering the ring/pinion gears from americanmuscle.com... but how about the install kit and trak-lock rebuild kit?

Thanks!!!
Old 07-13-2007, 08:12 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Ford Racing Mustang 8.8" Ring & Pinion Installation Kit Level 3

Ford Racing 8.8" Traction-Lok Rebuild Kit
Old 07-13-2007, 08:56 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Thank you sir, I really appreciate your time and advice!!

Gonna start piecing together this project so hopefully sometime next month I can get them installed.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:00 PM
95 BLOWN GT
5th Gear Member

dont know if money is tight. but i would move up to 31 spline axles if you are going with sticky tires.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:10 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

what else has to change to upgrade those axles? the Limited slip itself?

I'm going to order the ring and pinion, then the install kit, and then the limited slip parts, and then possibly the axles... over the period of a few weeks, because I only have so much $. Then maybe upgraded axles... if i go 31 spline, what else has to change?

The thing is that is cool about this car, is my brother in law owns it, but said it's mine whenever I want it and when he gets himself another car he will eventually be giving it to me... but for now, he is reimbursing me for everything I put into it!

Quick Reply: Doing gears