5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

AOD = ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 12:18 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Default AOD = ???

I just finished my HCI on the car... Put Thumper Performance Ported E7's on the car... and E303 cam because the car is AOD... Trickflow Street Upper/Lower Intake Manifolds... 24lb injectors... 76mm MAF... BBK fenderwell... Ford Racing 9mm wires...

The car already had... MSD Ignition with cap and rotor... Ford Motorsport Shorties... MAC H-Pipe... Flows out back...

The problem is the car doesn't feel fast really... i had a friend come in the car and he said it feels faster...

Now is the AOD tranny really that bad??? I was thinking about some 4.10s and a 2500 stall.... but don't want to be disappointed especially if I don't hit 13's after doing those things... I'm thinking about doing a swap to a manual and getting a C5 tranny is it? and calling it a day with that...

Opinions would be greatly appreciated!

-Jeff
Old 07-19-2007, 12:25 AM
90mustang5.8
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: AOD = ???

that TC with aod will work just fine.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:33 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

pwned^^^^

the AOD isnt bad. get a upgraded valve body and a shift kit, tranny cooler and a stall, and you will be all set
Old 07-19-2007, 02:00 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

pwned^^^^

the AOD isnt bad. get a upgraded valve body and a shift kit, tranny cooler and a stall, and you will be all set
Well I know it's what is slowing me down right now and my local performance shop said it's not worth it to build thattranny when you can just get a c4 for like $1000.... I was thinking 2500 stall andthe 4.10s but the upgraded valve body would get rid of the shift lag for a firmer shift.

Adder where can I get a good valve body from and a tranny cooler? Also what converter should I get? Not familiar with automatictrannies (first i've owned)especiallyAODs...

-Jeff
Old 07-19-2007, 07:18 AM
98MustangGT46
5th Gear Member

pwned^^^^
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]Sorry couldnt resist.. Now Nothsa you can get either a transgo shift kit or you could get a full manual valve body from Lentech Automatics.. As for the tranny cooler you can get them on www.jegs.com or www.summitracing.com..Lentech also has converters but im not too sure what the best brand would be, so an input you get would be good for me as well...
Heres Lentech's site
http://www.lentechautomatics.com/aodproducts.html
Old 07-19-2007, 07:23 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

If you're looking for a cheap hard hitting shift and adjustable shift points get the baumann kit, it's only $60. I would also look into getting the sonnex boost valve, it's cheap insurance. My AOD has been just great for me. So far all that I have done to it is 3000 rpm Edge Racing torque converter, baumann shift kit, sonnex boost valve and it hasn't given me one issue. I've still got my sights set on getting it rebuilt with on of the high performance rebuild kits. But for now it definetally doesn't need it.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:54 AM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: nothsa

pwned^^^^

Well I know it's what is slowing me down right now and my local performance shop said it's not worth it to build thattranny when you can just get a c4 for like $1000.... I was thinking 2500 stall andthe 4.10s but the upgraded valve body would get rid of the shift lag for a firmer shift.

Adder where can I get a good valve body from and a tranny cooler? Also what converter should I get? Not familiar with automatictrannies (first i've owned)especiallyAODs...

-Jeff
You're going to be disappointed with a 2500 stall. Go with something bigger. 3500 - 4000. Sounds like a lot, but when it locks up, it's like driving a stock vehicle.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:57 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

If anybody else has a full set-up (ie: shift kit, valvebody, stall, and cooler) that they could recommend, that would be great!

Will these mods get us down to the level of a T5? I know we are a lot slower than the T5 cars stock for stock so are these things going to make that big of a difference? I know they are going to help with shifts, but I may just do a T5 swap if they aren't going to be as good as a manual tranny... idk yet, it's just going to be a lot of cash to get all these items for the car when I could probably get a complete T5 for $700 with all accessories and do all the install in about the same time as everything for the AOD.

I need inspiration to keep the AOD... my dd is a 5 speed so I get a lot of clutch action every day (i love it but my 5.0 doesn't need to be)!

-Jeff
Old 07-19-2007, 01:16 PM
BlackLX
4th Gear Member

You have to remember that the stock T5 isn't that strong either. It might seem cheaper now but it wont be in the long run when you're rebuilding it or buying a TKO.

I'd stick with the AOD. If you're wanting fast 1/4 times then stay with an auto. I would look into getting a custom torque converter from Edge and a manual valve body from Lentech.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:44 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nothsa

If anybody else has a full set-up (ie: shift kit, valvebody, stall, and cooler) that they could recommend, that would be great!
If you want a decent valve body, then check out the Lentech Street Terminator AOD. It will give you the firm shifts you want so you don't need to worry about a shift kit. Not only that, but it will give you an electronic OD delete. So when OD is turned on, it will dirve normally. But when you turn overdrive off, then you can shift 1-2-3 just as if you had the AODE tranny. No more 1-D-1 shuffle... 1-D-OD becomes 1-2-D. Then when you want OD back, just flip the switch.

Quick Reply: AOD = ???