5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

needs an overhaul??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 03:21 AM
Wild_Stang

Default needs an overhaul??

I had oil leaking from this side “Marked in the picture below” due to high pressure as the mechanic told me but I just want to double check if what he is saying is true or not.

He says that maybe because I’ve ported the heads then the engine got pressured and that causes oil leak and if he fixed it another place will leak oil, he also removed the oil cap and there was white smoke coming out of it but the oil cap was clean I mean it was not milky or anything which means its not the head gasket.
Then when he asked me to step on the gas pedal, white smoke started coming out of the mufflers.
He said I might have some broken parts inside the engine like a ring piston and it needs an overhaul.
I’ve decided to take it to another garage to check it out but just before I leave he told me that my water pump is leaking water as well I took a look and it really was so I had to leave the car at his garage to fix the water pump first and he said I have to replace the water pump without seeing what is the problem maybe a seal needs to be changed only..
My current water pump is an Edelbrock I don’t want to get a stock one…

So what do you guys think? Have you gone through such a problem?
By the way “this is not my engine bay”
Old 07-21-2007, 03:23 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

Default RE: needs an overhaul??

can you get a closer pic?[&:]
Old 07-21-2007, 03:28 AM
Wild_Stang

I just got this picture from yahoo because my car is at the garage right now and i cant picture the engine bay..
although the mechanic doesnt know where the leak is coming from as he said he has to remove the intake first to see what is going on under it.
but the leak is from that area!!
Old 07-21-2007, 08:20 AM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

rear main seal
Old 07-21-2007, 08:29 AM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

check the head gaskets, i had mine blow from detonation/leaning on 3 spots on one side, and in one spot on the other head, no water in oil or vise versa, just really crappy performance.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:44 AM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

I think he's an idiot just trying to get some easy money. I'd tell him to get ****ed.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:49 AM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

sounds like the mechainic knows what it is and a easy fix but can bull shat ya into thinking its more than that.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:07 AM
Wild_Stang

ORIGINAL: 93 LX FiveO

rear main seal
so its nothing related to high pressure or whatsoever?
and is the white smoke because of this?

ORIGINAL: 94StinkinLincoln

check the head gaskets, i had mine blow from detonation/leaning on 3 spots on one side, and in one spot on the other head, no water in oil or vise versa, just really crappy performance.
you think so?
because i've just changed the gaskets 2 months ago..

ORIGINAL: FullAuto

I think he's an idiot just trying to get some easy money. I'd tell him to get ****ed.
I wanted to take my car to other garages but the water pump problem just pop up!
Old 07-21-2007, 09:28 AM
Wild_Stang

do you guys think that the white smoke coming out of the mufflers is because of losen headers bolts?
I have some losen bolts...
Old 07-21-2007, 09:32 AM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

i had 250 miles within a months time and they were blown, it was my fault that it happend though. well you can pullthe heads off and see if its the gaskets, even if it isnt u need to replace them b/c they are compression gaskets.
the rear main is the back of the crank that thats flush with the back of the oil pan and the block, the flywheel bolts to it. it will just cause you to leak oil, and a prob. a decent amount.
its kinda hard to say without having our hands on it.
if its the rear main it will leak through the bellhousing on the bottom, i know it will on a auto, but im not sure if a stick will do the same.
and no white smoke is from water being mixed in with the oil and being blown out the back, sounds like head gaskets, but i cant say 100% that thats it. im only guessing.

Quick Reply: needs an overhaul??