5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

ECM Flash for 1995 GTS 5.0 Running Rich

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 10:02 PM
txjason1
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: ECM Flash for 1995 GTS 5.0 Running Rich

I am not argueing with ya at all.
I am wondering if the Leesville,LA po-dunk Dynojet isnt f-ed up as well
It is definatly rich
Stoich is outta the question here.
I have not torn the motor down to see other mods internal.....Looking for help here.
Will be doing a new 347 stroker next year, after re-enlistment. but just want the car right before that.
Thanks
Old 07-21-2007, 10:07 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

no one said you were. were just trying to make sense of it as I am sure you are too. it's very difficult to diagnose a cars problem behind a key board without being there personally to see what it's doing....your best bet is to find a speed shop / performance shop and take it to them.....I wouldn't take it to a normal shop unless someone there actually understands the car or has one themself that would know what to look for on a modded car like yours./
Old 07-21-2007, 10:09 PM
txjason1
2nd Gear Member

So there is no flash tool only chip on my car or what?
I am an old Chevy guy this is my first Ford. other than my 2005 Harley Edition.
Done a few Camaro's and a Mopar or two but never a Stang (But I will never leave the stangs now that I am here)
I love the car, but I think the dyno needs claibration.
I was looking at the damper yesterday, it has 3 sets of timing marks, could it simply be timed to the wrong one?
Is it possible for a ford to be timed wrong and get rich,but no missing?
Old 07-21-2007, 10:16 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I fit were timed excessively wrong meaning retarded to much it'd run lean and if it were advanced too far it would probably detonate and you'd hear pinging. I don't think you have a timing issue possible but not likely. the ecm is on the passanger side lower kick panel you'll have to pull it out and look for a chip installed where it plugs in or somewhere on the case??
Old 07-21-2007, 10:21 PM
txjason1
2nd Gear Member

I am getting a ping at 3500-4250 under hard acceleration.
then it cleans up.
So my model only has the ability for chip, no flash right.
and if it has a chip is it something like chevy where you pop in the chip, then install the factory chip on top....or will the factory chip be gone.
I purchased this car from a buddy of mine that got wounded in Afghanistan, and he purchased it from a buddy of his that is now dead, so all records and info are gone now.
Thanks for all the help.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:31 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Man sorry to hear that but it could be a spaggetti mess trying to figure out what someone else had done with no records as far as the chip goes usually what they do is burn the chip and install it inline. if there is no special programmer like a tweecer or other type of after market programmer visible.....then without seeing the car I'd have to say it may have a chip installed?? but these older mustangs arn't like the newer mustangs where on obd II equiped cars you can plug in a programmer to the connector and whala!!! you have a new tune installed. on the older cars the tune has to be created and burned to a chip.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:36 PM
txjason1
2nd Gear Member

so if it has a chip does the factory chip stay in teh ecm, or is it gone?
I.E. can I take the aftermarket chip out, or will I have to track down a factory chip, to go back to stock to troubleshoot.
Thanks again
Old 07-21-2007, 10:52 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

If it has a chip in it, it will be attached to te top of th stock computer. But that probably isnt the problem.

Are te injectors yellow or orange?

Do you ever get a Check Engine Light that comes off and on randomly? Bad O2 sensors could cause you to run rich. Also, there could be a "bad tune" if someone swapped back to teh stock MAF from a different one or if they trie to tune it and screwed it up completely.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:55 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

some times the chip will be placed in the service port on the side of the computer ie...remove the computer and look for a little cover and see if a chip has been installed. if there has been it'll usually state the name of the manufacteror... you can usually just pull it out and I think the computer will go back to factory calibration the chip usually over rides factory settings.. without being there I can't see what you got so you'll have to pull the computer out and look! if it has a chip it'll be located in the service port on the side of the ecm
Old 07-21-2007, 11:02 PM
txjason1
2nd Gear Member

I have been thinking about the O2 Sensors, they are not factory either, They have red heat shrink, and are 4 wire sensors.
Plus they are directly infront of the flowmasters, I thought they needed to be close to the headers.
The injectors are yellow.
Guy thanks for all the help, I will yank the ecm in the morning, after church.

Quick Reply: ECM Flash for 1995 GTS 5.0 Running Rich