5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Rear main seal/pan gasket

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 10:03 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Rear main seal/pan gasket

I don't get whats wrong the engine tilted forward? You should be able to pull on the transmission and it will just pop out. Make sure you unbolt the torque convertor from the flexplate, should be 4 bolts. It will make removing the tranny much easier.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:25 PM
Tacom_mustang

I think that we are beyond the flex plate and 99% of the torque converter is showing.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:10 AM
red9535
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tacom_mustang

I think that we are beyond the flex plate and 99% of the torque converter is showing.
So the engine and the trans are seperated completely (since you can see the whole tq converter), but the trans is stuck on the driveshaft?

Unbolt the driveshaft from the rear differential.. 4 12 point 12 mm bolts holding that bitch on.. once its dropped from the rear axle, just pull that **** outa the trans. Get ready for a mess.. it's going to puke atleast a quart of trans oil - they make plugs that go in place of where the drive shaft was - i'd recommend picking one of those up, and just yanking out the shaft, and stuffing the plug in there.

Good luck

Edit: alright and incase i misunderstood your post.. you must unbolt the torque converter from the flex plate.. just turn the crank pulley and it iwll turn your flex plate, keep her going and you'll be able to get to all 4 bolts.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:21 AM
Tacom_mustang

we didn't unbolt the flex plate, maybe that is the problem.

We already took the drive shaft off.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:27 AM
red9535
1st Gear Member

we didn't unbolt the flex plate, maybe that is the problem.

We already took the drive shaft off.
[:@] Unbolt your flex plate boss, make sure everything's held up by a jack, becuase that's the only thing gripping your trans. Speaking of which, you're going to have a hell of a time turning the crank with it all twisted and ****, if gravity has it lopsided. Get it to sit naturally, then unbolt the flex plate from the torque converter as i described. Then your trans will drop right down (assuming you've taken out the trans mount)
Old 07-29-2007, 11:52 AM
Tacom_mustang

DOH!!! and DUH!! LOL..... I even know that.... WOW!!

Ok, here is a question, I know that I need to mark the torque converter on which way that it came out, so that it goes in the exact same way. Don't you have to prime the thing before putting it back together? I know with Chevy's, its a pain in the butt to get the fluid right, is there an easy way to do this so that I dont burn up the pump or over fill it??
Old 07-29-2007, 03:36 PM
red9535
1st Gear Member

DOH!!! and DUH!! LOL..... I even know that.... WOW!!

Ok, here is a question, I know that I need to mark the torque converter on which way that it came out, so that it goes in the exact same way. Don't you have to prime the thing before putting it back together? I know with Chevy's, its a pain in the butt to get the fluid right, is there an easy way to do this so that I dont burn up the pump or over fill it??
Torque converter doesn't have to come out. You're replacing the rear main and the oil pan gasket. Just drop your trans, reseal, then put it back together.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:30 PM
Tacom_mustang

what the hell are you talking about? Myabe I am missunderstanding you??? You have to take off the torque converter and the flex plate to get to the rear main OIL seal. Not the transmission shaft seal ........

*edit* sorry they cam out a little harsh, I am a bit frustrated.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:53 PM
red9535
1st Gear Member

what the hell are you talking about? Myabe I am missunderstanding you??? You have to take off the torque converter and the flex plate to get to the rear main OIL seal. Not the transmission shaft seal ........

*edit* sorry they cam out a little harsh, I am a bit frustrated.
Torque converter stays with the trans.. no reason to pull it out.. drop the trans, then get under there and unbolt the flex plate. So i guess in a way, yes, the torque converter comes out. But there's no reason to take it out of the transmission - it's pushed into the trans and then bolted to the engine, not the other way around. The torque converter can be thought of as a piece of the transmission that can stay with the trans as a whole - no need to take it apart if you're doing engine seals.

Edit: I suspect since you didn't unbolt the tq converter from the flex plate, and tried to drop the trans, the tq converter is already pulled out of the transmission since it was still bolted to the flex plate (which is bolted to the engine). In that case, yes, take the torque converter and the flex plate off of the rear of the engine. However, in the future, you can unbolt your tq converter from your flex plate, and leave your transmission all together. That goes for trans drops, engine swaps, whatever.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:41 PM
Tacom_mustang

AHhhh clarification is great!! LOL... I was thinking, this guy is really and idiot, but now it all makes sense. Yes, I was the idiot for skipping this major step in the removal of the tranny.

First good news, tranny is out, oil pan is off, now oil pump is up and in place, the pan is soaking in the parts washer, trying to get as much of the crap off as I can. The rear main seal is in, I am assuming it is all the way in, considering it was flush when I took the fly wheel off, it is now in there and flush again, (the new seal.

Now I am at a loss of what to do. I can put it all back together and pray, or I can try to get the front seal changed as well. My buddy told me that is almost impossible with out an impact wrench. Said it was 185#'s of torque on there, that too get the motor too stay still and also get it to pop loose is basically impossible. I don't want to have to take my radiator out of my car and all that crap. So!!! With all that said.... What do I do, or is my buddy wrong?

Also, since the torque converter didn't come out with the tranny and broke free of the tranny, how the hell do I know where to put it back on at? I am screwed from what I know, but I am not sure. Also since it was all the way out, I am thinking that I should make sure all the old tranny fluid is out, it was burnt, and almost black, distgusting!!!! Any ideas??

Quick Reply: Rear main seal/pan gasket