5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Rear main seal/pan gasket

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 01:16 AM
Tacom_mustang

Default Rear main seal/pan gasket

So the dealership wants $730 to do the oil pan gasket and the rear seal.

I know that I have to drop the tranny, lift the engine up, and then pull the pan. I also know I have to pull the torque converter to get to the rear main seal. This isn't a big deal I guess. I guess my question is, how time consuming is this really? I have worked on a lot of chevy's but this is my first Ford.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:24 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Rear main seal/pan gasket

if you dont know what you're doing quite a while
Old 07-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Tacom_mustang

I started yesterday evening time. Didn't get too far. I got the drive line out, oil drained, tranny pan off, drained and put back up. I got the linkage off. I got two of the bell housing bolts out. I cant seem to get to the top bolts on the bell houseing. Is there a trick to this or just wedging your hand in there till you get it????

Also, Do I just drop the transmission down far enough to get to the coolant lines or do I need to drop my exhaust off my headers to get them before Hand?

Yes I am over my head, but I have ordered parts and hopefully this after noon will have friends coming to help.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:31 AM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

the rear main can be pushed out with a punch and hammer i belive, just have to be carefull.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:41 AM
00limited7
2nd Gear Member

Depends on what kind of headers you have. If they are shorties I wouldn't think they would need to come off.
I just changed my oil pan gasket but I didn't do the rear seal (wish I would of). I have a T5. So I'm not sure of an auto.
I would take the coolant lines of before dropping the tranny. Take a piece of advice go rent a tranny jack to put that beast
back in. Best $24 I ever spent. It was hard enough getting the T5 to line up I can't imagine an auto. If your changing the pan gasket go ahead and change the oil pump also. I bought a melling high volume for about 40 bucks at advanced auto.
I used a engine hoist to jack the front of the engine up. If you don't take off the upper intake make sure you don't crush anything on the firewall like the BAP sensor when jacking up the engine.

good luck
Old 07-28-2007, 03:12 PM
Tacom_mustang

Yeah, I already bought the high flow oil pump, I am having a bitch of a time just getting the damn tranny out. I can not get the top bolts off the belhousing. I have now unbolted the headers (stock) from the pipe, and they wont budge to do the hangers, and them damn things are welded in place. I am thinking I should of spent the $700.

I busted the O2 senser trying to get the headers unbolted as well, so i guess now I am going to be replacing that.

This is becoming a completepain the booty!!! I hopemy friend gets here soon!!! If not I am going to have the entire care dismantled just trying to get the transmission out.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:21 PM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

Thats a lot i think. Im getting clutch and rear main seal done for $150 (canadian).
Old 07-28-2007, 03:22 PM
Skyler5.0
3rd Gear Member

Ilifted the tail shaft and went at it from the top, to get the top bolts out. But i have a Auto C4.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:39 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tacom_mustang

So the dealership wants $730 to do the oil pan gasket and the rear seal.

I know that I have to drop the tranny, lift the engine up, and then pull the pan. I also know I have to pull the torque converter to get to the rear main seal. This isn't a big deal I guess. I guess my question is, how time consuming is this really? I have worked on a lot of chevy's but this is my first Ford.
your engine is coming out brother, possibly with your tranny attached, any other way is goin to give you straight HELL and dont take that lightly
Old 07-28-2007, 09:56 PM
Tacom_mustang

At this point, the engine is at a 35 degree angle, the transmission is stuck on the shaft. All the bolts are out, we had to cut the exhaust, and the tail end is sitting on the floor. Yet the trasnmission refuses to slide off the shaft. We have everying disconnected, we have tried all the angles possible to get the tranny off the shaft, and it still wont slide off. We are done for the day, but anyone got any ideas?? We are so close it is friggin frustrating!!!!

Quick Reply: Rear main seal/pan gasket