5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

cigarette lighter question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 07:42 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default cigarette lighter question

yea so i just got a satalite radio, and the power plugs into the cigarette lighter... problem is mine doesnt work.... couldnt tell ya why, havent ****ed with it. question is, how can i ****** rig something to get power to my plug? i mean i could go buy a new cigarette lighter, but if i dnt hae to i dnt want to
Old 07-29-2007, 07:47 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: cigarette lighter question

Not rocket science. Check under the console and see if it's hooked up. You could run a fused wire to the plug and call it a day. You sure it's a power issue and not a ground? have you checked it w/ a test light? Come on man, what kinda mocanic is ya?
Old 07-29-2007, 07:51 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

na man havent even looked at it... but im just assuming that the piece itself is **** because it just looks beat, lol... took a while and ALOT of pullin to get the actual lighter out of it, and then i tried a phone charger w. it and no dice.... i think ya miss understood, or i messed up explainin... i know how to test it and or fix it if it is a wire problem, but i thnk its a prob. w. it itself, and was wondering how to i gues, bypass it.... could i take the cord for the radio... cut it, and splice one end to the power for the cig lighter and one end to the ground? regardless its not going to be temp... the damn things stayin in the car... lol. id almost rather do somethin like that if i can so i can keep it all under the console for a cleaner look
Old 07-29-2007, 07:55 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: dimebag

na man havent even looked at it... but im just assuming that the piece itself is **** because it just looks beat, lol... took a while and ALOT of pullin to get the actual lighter out of it, and then i tried a phone charger w. it and no dice.... i think ya miss understood, or i messed up explainin... i know how to test it and or fix it if it is a wire problem, but i thnk its a prob. w. it itself, and was wondering how to i gues, bypass it.... could i take the cord for the radio... cut it, and splice one end to the power for the cig lighter and one end to the ground? regardless its not going to be temp... the damn things stayin in the car... lol. id almost rather do somethin like that if i can so i can keep it all under the console for a cleaner look
WTF??? Is that Engrish??[:'(]
Old 07-29-2007, 07:58 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

Does the whole center console need to come out to install a new lighter..
Old 07-29-2007, 07:58 PM
AndySpeed
3rd Gear Member

ya I did that with mine.. put a fuseable link on the hot side.. also looks cleaner without having your cig lighter thing open.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:02 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dimebag

na man havent even looked at it... but im just assuming that the piece itself is **** because it just looks beat, lol... took a while and ALOT of pullin to get the actual lighter out of it, and then i tried a phone charger w. it and no dice.... i think ya miss understood, or, i messed up explaining... i know how to test it and or fix it if it is a wire problem, but i think its a problem. with in the lighter itself, and was wondering how to i gues, bypass it.... could i take the cord for the radio... cut it, and splice one end to the power for the cig lighter and one end to the ground? regardless its not going to be temp... the damn things stayin in the car... lol. id almost rather do somethin like that if i can so i can keep it all under the console for a cleaner look

better bernie? sry been a good night[8D]
Old 07-29-2007, 08:27 PM
Brightersiderock
1st Gear Member

i had a similar problem with mine when i got my satellite radio and it was just weak wiring. The problem is now i have an alternator hum whenever i accelerate, does anyone have any idea how to fix this?