5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

question for the fella's who use anderson's p.m.s

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 09:16 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

Default question for the fella's who use anderson's p.m.s

i have been doing alot of test and tune with the programmer,and fought with drivability and idle issues for a long time.so i started thinking about the idle "on" function it always hung if i did it the "right" way...so i adjusted the idle to accomadate the programmer...i ended backing off a little too much..so i kept adding a 1/4 turn till the tack dropped to 500rpm then caught idle at 850...why does this sound so wrong...but damn it feels so good holding in the clutch with no idle surge or stumble...[8D]....

one more question while driving at normal speeds/load range why do i see 40-50* timing?...i'm only +4 in my low/med ranges till about 4000rpm do i get agressive..any highlight on my ignorance would be apprectiated
Old 07-31-2007, 12:13 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

Default RE: question for the fella's who use anderson's p.m.s

damn i must really ask the doozy of questions
Old 07-31-2007, 08:22 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

I don't have the slightest clue how to use the PMS or what any of their functions or terms mean. That's the one thing I dislike about them. Sure, they make tuning "easier" by simplifying everything. But because they try to simplify it, it makes it pretty meaningless for those who have never used it and only understand the ECC itself.

Take the "idle on function" for example. I've never heard of that and really have no idea what it does. I imagine if I played with the PMS for a bit I could figure out which function, scalar, or table it was really altering (or does it alter multiple at the same time?) But without actually seeing one, I'm clueless what it does or even means.

Then again, I've always hated things that take the over simplified approach because if something goes wrong or something isn't working the way it is supposed to work, you have absolutely no clue why. For example, let's look at starting a car. You turn a key and it starts. That's great, but if you don't know how or why it does what it does, then you're pretty screwed if something ever goes wrong. All you know is that you turn the key for a second or so and when you let go, the car is running. But one day, you turn it and nothing happens... how are you going to know what to check or even where to check? You didn't bother to learn anything about how it works so you're clueless and don't know how to work around an unforseen problem.

In other words, I think they can be great tools if they are used properly... meaning that you have to take time to learn what the different "functions" actually modify or tweak. But most people don't like learning all of that stuff and that's why they bought the PMS in the first place. But if you knew what those functions altered, then you would be able to figure out exactly why it is doing something you think it shouldn't be doing (or not doing something you wanted it to do.)
Old 07-31-2007, 09:16 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

seeing such high timing is actually quite normal. Here, this is a screen shot of MY timing table.

vertical is manifold pressure in kPa
horizontal is RPM
Old 07-31-2007, 02:01 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

that table is how my car runs...my tip in throttle has a little glitch,but that's only if you really baby foot it...i have came a long way with it..just made me wonder how i managed to get my idle right doing it this way...since this has never been instructed in any way.

samseed you'd like it..it's nice to run cheap gas and in one click have a program ready for it,and then go to track with another program
Old 07-31-2007, 02:27 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grabbem88
samseed you'd like it..it's nice to run cheap gas and in one click have a program ready for it,and then go to track with another program
Don't get me wrong, I hear it's a very nice system. But I think it leads many newcomers into a false sense of security. You know the types; they can't tell you where the #1 cylinder is but they're tuning their car with a user friendly setup. As long as you have a clue it's a great tool.

By the way, I can already do that. The Tweecer RT lets me store 4 different tunes that I can switch to on the fly without even turning the engine off. There's a tiny dial in my glovebox that I use to select my tune.And then I can store the rest on the laptop and upload them any time I need them.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:33 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

wasn't sure what/if program system you was using..nothing with what you got..not at all
Old 07-31-2007, 08:00 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Well to be honest, I was too cheap to pay te extra money for the PMS, so I went with the Tweecer RT and had to do a LOT of reading / learning, LoL. But it wasn't so bad. And I had the extra laptop sitting around anyway.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:47 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

mine reads the same while cruising, around 40-51 degrees, but when i go to wot it reads 34 deg, i used the startup tune anderson gave me and it works fine with the standalone on, with standalone off, the computer tries to change my settings and runs horrible sometimes.

i had to put the idle control at 900rpm and it idles at 1000rpm., when turned off it idles at around 700rpm.

i had to add fuel in the temp settings to get the idle good at startup.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:25 PM
94Cobrakid16
3rd Gear Member

how do you learn about these systems? im looking at getting one and as of now i am totaly clueless. any help would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: question for the fella's who use anderson's p.m.s