5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

body removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 09:24 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default body removal

just like the title says.....

how difficult are we talking to remove the body away from the frame? i assume that all electrical would be removed from the interior. but is it possiblefor these cars to seperate from their frame, i know some old school cars do it, i've done one before.i want to media blast and paint my frame and while the body is off i could repair the body 100x's easier than it being in the attached to the frame.

my buddy down the street bought a huge media blaster. (he's an iron worker and does these weird welding projects that are huge and then he blast them and they look really sweet. he basically has Jurassic Park in his back yard)
Old 08-06-2007, 09:26 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Default RE: body removal

Your car is a uni-body, there is no way to seperate the body from the frame.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:27 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if your talking about a mustang it's impossible because it's a unibody car!!
Old 08-06-2007, 09:28 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

there isn't really a frame.
its a uni-body car, meaning that the suspension is bolted to the body. the body doesn't sit on a frame, it sits on the suspension.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:31 AM
nseoi
4th Gear Member

remove the drivetrain and suspension is as close as you can get pretty much
Old 08-06-2007, 11:45 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

thats what i thought. i figured thats what the unibody meant. doesnt hurt to ask though right? lol

so best bet if i wanted to media blast and paint the car would be to remove all electrical, drivetrainand suspension and put her on a rotisserie and work it from there?
Old 08-06-2007, 11:48 AM
92civy
4th Gear Member

^ yes, just take the complete drivetrain, electrical, suspension out. and then blast away.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:52 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

it seems it would be difficult to paint in all the little areas inside the car in all the little parts n such. do you spot prime before you lay it down with the sprayer?

bare with me, i'm planning on goin big with this project. i plan on having this car for the rest of my life so i want the body to be basically new and i can F with the mechanical stuff throughout trying different stuff, eventually a track car down the road sometime.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:15 PM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

you wouldnt beleive how many import guys i meet that bet me money that my car isnt a unibody.... they all say they know a guy who has done a frame off resto on a fox. I can even pshow them underneath the car and they still say that
Old 08-06-2007, 12:39 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: 91lxstang

you wouldnt beleive how many import guys i meet that bet me money that my car isnt a unibody.... they all say they know a guy who has done a frame off resto on a fox. I can even pshow them underneath the car and they still say that
how gay. i hate "ricers" a.k.a. people who talk out their azz. i knew this was a unibody and i figured i knew what it meant but why not asked and just double check?

anyone have any advise for painting in tight areas?

Quick Reply: body removal