5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

torque box repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 07:28 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default torque box repair

i need to do some welding on my boxes for my new arms that i plan to buy within the next month or so
i need to buy a welder too...

can anyone recommend a good home welder, that will be capable of doing this job?
i'm not looking to spend a grand on some big piece of machinery, i also dont want a crappy one like i've had before.
just a nice little 110v mig that can do the job.

also, should i grind off the existing welds and redo them, or can i just go over the old ones?
i'm not much of a metal man, but i can mig up a bead or two when i have to...

Old 08-09-2007, 07:48 PM
MadMan@TheWheel
4th Gear Member

Default RE: torque box repair

Did PRO5.0's tech article help you any?
Old 08-09-2007, 07:53 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

his was about reinforcements
im asking about the boxes themselves
Old 08-09-2007, 08:10 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

I have a Campbell Hausfeld 105 mig and it works really good for a little welder. I got it because it is a flux core welder but i can also run a solid core wire with argon sheilding gas(makes better welds) I paid around $350 for it a few years back and I don't regret it.

As far as your old welds, I would just clean them up with a grinder and then weld over them.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:29 PM
jakeachy
3rd Gear Member

i lovethe miller arc. ac/dc operation, 10-250amps weld anything with that baby.
edit
migging over another bead wont penetrate and it will be like putting tape over tape. you need to either grind them really good, or get an arc and run a 6011 rod at high amp.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:23 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

I have a Lincoln, 100 and have welded everything on my car with no problems
Old 08-09-2007, 09:55 PM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jakeachy

i lovethe miller arc. ac/dc operation, 10-250amps weld anything with that baby.
edit
migging over another bead wont penetrate and it will be like putting tape over tape. you need to either grind them really good, or get an arc and run a 6011 rod at high amp.
if you know what your doing you can mig over the old weld but yes it must be clean. as far as turning a 6010 up hot and welding with it you will blow some serious holes in the existing metal work on the car. trust me on this one i dont make over $100,000 a year making bad welds. mig is good but it cools so fast its hardness is very high which means the harder the tencil strength the less ability to flex without cracking but it is better than 6010. if at all possible tig it or have it tig welded with a 309H rod. that is a stainless rod with a high carbon content and the rod also is the rod used to make a dissimilar weld by code when it is stainless to carbon. some people just shouldnt give advice when they dont know because i promise you will blow some serious holes with 6010. its stricktly a rod used for penetration. which means it eats like crazy.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:21 PM
jakeachy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: iceman89gt

. some people just shouldnt give advice when they dont know because i promise you will blow some serious holes with 6010. its stricktly a rod used for penetration. which means it eats like crazy.
he needs to get under his old mig bead to make any difference. using a 6011 he can get through his prior bead and a good depth into the base metal. no holes to be blown.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:35 PM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

. some people just shouldnt give advice when they dont know because i promise you will blow some serious holes with 6010. its stricktly a rod used for penetration. which means it eats like crazy.
he needs to get under his old mig bead to make any difference. using a 6011 he can get through his prior bead and a good depth into the base metal. no holes to be blown.
so just how many torque boxes have you done so far? ive done over 15 of them including my own and the only one i used 6010 on was with flat bar as a slug to join the frame and box. even going over the old weld hes gonna be to hot with a 6010. so tell me whats your definition of turning it up hot with a 6010. how many amps on the heat.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:44 PM
jakeachy
3rd Gear Member

so just how many torque boxes have you done so far? ive done over 15 of them including my own and the only one i used 6010 on was with flat bar as a slug to join the frame and box. even going over the old weld hes gonna be to hot with a 6010. so tell me whats your definition of turning it up hot with a 6010. how many amps on the heat.
6011. there is a decent difference between the two. 6010 tends to give more spatter and is a more violent deeper penentrating rod. 6011 on the other hand is still spattery, still penetrates but isnt as violent as the 6010. I havent done torque boxes, but did subframe connectors on my old cherokee.90 amps.

Quick Reply: torque box repair