5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

rear end lockers. opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 10:19 AM
vtecwho
3rd Gear Member

Default rear end lockers. opinions please

i try not to post stuff unless i absolutly need help. my car loves to do one wheel burn outs. and with 140,000 miles on my trac lok its time for a new one; not rebuilding.

my car is a DD. i was looking into getting a detroit locker by eaton. i just want to know if that will alow the rear tires to spin at different speeds while cornering. i have heard that they pop and make noise, i dont really car. i just dont want the tires to be rubbing and squeeling in a tight cornered parking lot, for wear purposes. however, i dont want a sloppy trac-lok-like rear end.

lets hear your opinions/experiences!!
thanks
eric
Old 08-10-2007, 11:05 AM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

Default RE: rear end lockers. opinions please

I have a Detroit True-Trac in mine. It allows you to do what you want. I DD my car and have no problems with turning, no popping no nothing with it. I've had it for almost 3 years now, and no problems, burns 2 and true everytime.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:54 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I have a Richmond Powertrax, acomplishes the same thing. Differentiates in a turn, locks when you go straight or get on the gas.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:02 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Just so there's no confusion, a FULL Locking rear end will NOT spin at different rates when going around a corner.

You want a Limited Slip rear end. What makes it more or less sloppy is the number of clutches you have put into the pack and the order they are put in.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:18 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

No, they sell lockers that actually lock the rear axles together under certain situations and unlock them when you turn

Spools keep them both locked all the time. My Powertrax has no clutches at all, it uses a series of gears and some synchronizers to control the locking and unlocking based on driving circumstances. But when I nailed the throttle both axles lock together and turn at the exact same rate

http://www.powertrax.com/nsexploded.html
Old 08-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

+1 for Richmond Powertrax... I put one in another of my cars (D35 rear) and its a great, simple to install, and relatively inexpensive alternative to a traditional style locking differential. Mine clicks a little here and there, but nothing that is very noticable.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:10 PM
vtecwho
3rd Gear Member

sounds like the true-trac is a good piece of metal. since i have no experience doing rear ends and scince they are easily done wrong, how much should i expect to pay to get it put in??
Old 08-11-2007, 01:47 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Dunno bout the true-trac as far as cost to put in, but like Maxwelhse said, the Richmond unit is rather simple to install, since it only has a limited amount of parts. It actually eliminates the entire differential assembly, and takes it's place inside the carrier. It does click and clink on occasion as it locks and unlocks, and takes a bit of a change in driving style, but it's a Titanium alloy, so it's unlikely you'd ever be able to damage it unless it was intentionally abused. To install it the carrier has to be opened, but it's not as involved as having a ring/pinion gear set up, so I imagine it can't cost too much. I did mine myself, so I couldn't really tell you.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

At one point, Richmond had a video on their web page of a complete Powertrax install on a C-Clip GM product. Start to finish it was under 10 minutes long. Assuming that have some basic hand tools and can do something as complicated as, well, changing spark plugs or oil, you can install a Powertrax.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:33 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

The only tool you really wanna have would be a dial indicator, to make sure when you put the carrier back in the the ring/pinion backlash is correct. And an impact gun helps too, makes it go easier. but yeah, it's a pretty simple little setup, I like it. And it doesn't require any friction modifiers, just plain ol gear oil, or synthetic if you like

Quick Reply: rear end lockers. opinions please