5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Stiff Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 08:19 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Stiff Clutch

You may have gotten a knock off... they are out there. I got mine from summit and it is not stiff at all. It feels good.

Summit FTW!
Old 08-12-2007, 08:20 PM
TBird232ci
5th Gear Member

Maximum Motorsports all the way. Get their clutch cable, adjuster and quadrant. Its a little pricey, but its great stuff.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:23 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

This is taken from "dynamicracingproducts" on ebay:

King Cobra Clutch kits produce 10-15% lighter pedal effort and still have the same gripping action as heavy duty clutch kits
40% GREATER CLAMPING ACTION THEN YOUR STOCK CLUTCH
We recommended this item for cars with up to 400HP
WHY BUY YOUR KING COBRA CLUTCH FROM US ?
REASON 1 WE OFFER THE MOST COMPLETE KIT AT THE BEST PRICE GUARANTEED !!!!
WE BUY 500 CLUTCHES AT A TIME SO THIS IS WHY WE CAN OFFER SUCH A LOW PRICE
OTHER KITS ON EBAY ARE ONLY 3 PIECES AND DO NOT INCLUDE A PILOT BEARING OR ALIGNMENT TOOL WHICH WE INCLUDE FOR " FREE "
REASON 2 OTHER SELLERS ADVERTISE WHAT THEY CALL A " KING COBRA " THAT IS ACTUALY A " LUK " HEAVY DUTY OR OTHER CHEAPER QUALITY ITEM AND DOES NOT HAVE A LIGHT PEDAL PRESSURE PLATE...DONT BE FOOLED...WE SELL WHAT WE ADVERTISE
" LUK " CLUTCH Does not make a KING COBRA CLUTCH so beware of our OE COMPETITORS saying they sell Valeo and LUK OE Clutches
Old 08-12-2007, 08:27 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

I hope you didn't get a valeo clutch. It would of said valeo on the pressure plate. My car came with a valeo clutch and it was incredibly stiff. I swapped it out for a centerforce.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:06 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cleanfitty

This is taken from "dynamicracingproducts" on ebay:

King Cobra Clutch kits produce 10-15% lighter pedal effort and still have the same gripping action as heavy duty clutch kits
40% GREATER CLAMPING ACTION THEN YOUR STOCK CLUTCH
We recommended this item for cars with up to 400 HP
WHY BUY YOUR KING COBRA CLUTCH FROM US ?
REASON 1 WE OFFER THE MOST COMPLETE KIT AT THE BEST PRICE GUARANTEED !!!!
WE BUY 500 CLUTCHES AT A TIME SO THIS IS WHY WE CAN OFFER SUCH A LOW PRICE
OTHER KITS ON EBAY ARE ONLY 3 PIECES AND DO NOT INCLUDE A PILOT BEARING OR ALIGNMENT TOOL WHICH WE INCLUDE FOR " FREE "
REASON 2 OTHER SELLERS ADVERTISE WHAT THEY CALL A " KING COBRA " THAT IS ACTUALY A " LUK " HEAVY DUTY OR OTHER CHEAPER QUALITY ITEM AND DOES NOT HAVE A LIGHT PEDAL PRESSURE PLATE ...DONT BE FOOLED...WE SELL WHAT WE ADVERTISE
" LUK " CLUTCH Does not make a KING COBRA CLUTCH so beware of our OE COMPETITORS saying they sell Valeo and LUK OE Clutches

Those are the people I purchased the clutch from.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:28 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

So, either they burned you... you have a bent clutch fork, a bound up cable, or someone screwed up the installation.

Any chance you got the HD rather than the KC??

Old 08-12-2007, 09:28 PM
1991LX5.0
3rd Gear Member

you better start gettingused to it. When i first bought my car it had a king cobra clutch. I have a firewall adjuster/quadrent and everything and it was still extremley stiff, i also thought it was an adjustment issue but nothing helped. When i put my centerforce in i couldnt believe how much easier it was than my king cobra
Old 08-13-2007, 09:14 AM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cleanfitty

So, either they burned you... you have a bent clutch fork, a bound up cable, or someone screwed up the installation.

Any chance you got the HD rather than the KC??

I don't think they sold me a knock off. And the clutch fork is brand new. I'm changing the cable this week. It could be that the mechanic screwed up the installation. He was telling me the cable is the reason the car won't start. But after I posted the symptoms here in the forum (and getting some really good feedback) the problem was a single wire that was disconnected from the Ignition switch. I reconnected the wire and the car fired right up.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:16 AM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1991LX5.0

you better start getting used to it. When i first bought my car it had a king cobra clutch. I have a firewall adjuster/quadrent and everything and it was still extremley stiff, i also thought it was an adjustment issue but nothing helped. When i put my centerforce in i couldnt believe how much easier it was than my king cobra

Well If this new cable doesn't work, I'll definitely be putting in a new clutch! I don't want to get used to that!
Old 08-13-2007, 10:06 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

I never understood that b/c its advertised as being 10% less pedal effort than stock. If you have the stock cable and quadrant installing new ones might make it a lil easier to press.
thats why he should have gotten a CF DF, they advertise up to 30% less pedal effort than stock. and i vouch for that. love this clutch. i hope it holds out for a while. lots of people claim good quality, if it shytes out after my HCI i'm goin SPEC.

+1 on the adjustable clutch cable and quad. i've drivin a king cobra clutch when i was lookin for 5.0's last year.....hate it, i dont know why its so damn hard to push the pedal in.

Quick Reply: Stiff Clutch