5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Gearbox is grinding in every gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 08:08 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Gearbox is grinding in every gear

ORIGINAL: dimebag

alright ur not giving us alota info, so heres some questions... answer the best you can, and ill be able to give you a good idea of what the problem is

did this only start after the clutch?
where in the pedal travel does the clutch enguage/dissenguage?
does it do it every single gear?
does it do it w. the car off, and putting it in gear?
does it grind and then go in? or just grind and say **** you?
any knowledge of the trans? how old? etc....
stock quadrant? or aftermarket?

Ok, here's the story (short version)

The car wasn't taking gear. The mechanic said I needed a new clutch. I got a King Cobra. When the mechanic dropped the gearbox to install the clutch we found 2 things wrong:

1. Clutch for was broken
2. Tranny was broken - Had a big crack in it

I bought a new clutch fork and took the tranny to the welders to get the crack repaired. We also noticed the crossmember was rusted so I got a new one of those as well....anyway....

Put the gearbox and clutch fork in, car still won't take gear. To answer your questions...

1. No
2. I'm not sure. How do I tell?
3. I tried up to 3rd gear and it was still grinding
4. With the car off, it goes into all the gears. Haven't put it in gear and started tho'. The car is on jack right now.
5. I didn't try pushing it all the way. I just heard the grind and I let off.
6. I pretty certain it's the stock tranny. It's a 1990 GT so...17 years...
7. As far as I know it's the stock quardrant.

I ordered a new heavy duty clutch cable, with quardrant and firewall adjuster. I just don't want to put the cable in and it's still happening. That would **** me off!

Old 08-15-2007, 08:58 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

How was the pilot bearing??? Also, did the cable get adjusted???

Is my king cobra the only one in the world thats not stiff???
Old 08-15-2007, 09:23 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cleanfitty

How was the pilot bearing??? Also, did the cable get adjusted???

Is my king cobra the only one in the world thats not stiff???

Pilot bearing? I don't know what that is. Yes the clutch was adjusted. Did you change you clutch cable as well?
Old 08-15-2007, 09:26 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

man having the trans cracked, you really need to have a tranny shop look at it... something caused that crack, and things in a t5 need to be right where they belong(i would know, im currently in the final stages of rebuilding one of mine, if work were slower, it would be done by now)

i think you have one of two problems. either 1. the clutch is not disenguaging all the way... you can adjust the stock quadrant... get under the dash... play w. the clutch pedal, youll see a yellowish plastic thing movin... one part is like a half circle, and has a hook on the end, and it touches another small part... what you need to do is press the clutch in and hold it, then find a way to hold up the smaller part of the quadrant while you slowly let out, or pull out, the clutch, and you will hear a click... do this one click at a time, you will be able to feel the differance each time, so do it untill you feel the clutch grab/not grab about half way thru its travel. if that fixes it then youll be good for a little while, but i suggest getting a new aftermarket quadrant, and cable. the stocker breaks easy, again id know, its happened to me.

if that does not fix your problem, you need to drop the trans, and take it to a trans shop to get looked at... it sounds to me like something could be ****ed up w. the syncros, be it a spring, or other parts involved...

so try the 1st thing, then if no avail, drop the trans and have it looked at
Old 08-15-2007, 09:28 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

get a new aluminum quadrant... your stock one is a POS
Old 08-15-2007, 09:29 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AndySpeed

its the cable.. and hopfully u machined ur flywheel and it isnt under spec.. but i aready went though all this with my buds stang.. its probably the cable. The dude could of messed up i guess while installing the clutch but ya start it in gear and hold the clutch see what it dose then.. my buddys took off and the clutch pedal didnt do nothing for him.. and he had the pressure plate in backwards once and when he let of the clutch pedal the car stopd.. pushed it in the car took off.. so it could be a few things
how the **** does that happen????? like seriously... how the **** do you do that?
Old 08-15-2007, 09:35 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AndySpeed

its the cable.. and hopfully u machined ur flywheel and it isnt under spec.. but i aready went though all this with my buds stang.. its probably the cable. The dude could of messed up i guess while installing the clutch but ya start it in gear and hold the clutch see what it dose then.. my buddys took off and the clutch pedal didnt do nothing for him.. and he had the pressure plate in backwards once and when he let of the clutch pedal the car stopd.. pushed it in the car took off.. so it could be a few things
how the **** does that happen????? like seriously... how the **** do you do that?
prolly the clutch plate was in backwards...

Andyspeed... might want to take your car to a professional instead next time it needs work..
Old 08-15-2007, 09:45 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

I was actually thinking the clutch was put in backwards or something...
Old 08-15-2007, 09:47 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

man having the trans cracked, you really need to have a tranny shop look at it... something caused that crack, and things in a t5 need to be right where they belong(i would know, im currently in the final stages of rebuilding one of mine, if work were slower, it would be done by now)

i think you have one of two problems. either 1. the clutch is not disenguaging all the way... you can adjust the stock quadrant... get under the dash... play w. the clutch pedal, youll see a yellowish plastic thing movin... one part is like a half circle, and has a hook on the end, and it touches another small part... what you need to do is press the clutch in and hold it, then find a way to hold up the smaller part of the quadrant while you slowly let out, or pull out, the clutch, and you will hear a click... do this one click at a time, you will be able to feel the differance each time, so do it untill you feel the clutch grab/not grab about half way thru its travel. if that fixes it then youll be good for a little while, but i suggest getting a new aftermarket quadrant, and cable. the stocker breaks easy, again id know, its happened to me.

if that does not fix your problem, you need to drop the trans, and take it to a trans shop to get looked at... it sounds to me like something could be ****ed up w. the syncros, be it a spring, or other parts involved...

so try the 1st thing, then if no avail, drop the trans and have it looked at

I'll definitely give that a try.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:50 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

alright... post up w. results... im tellin ya... its one of the two...

Quick Reply: Gearbox is grinding in every gear