5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Am I capable of replacing clutch myself?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 11:39 AM
bzn5150

Default Am I capable of replacing clutch myself?

I'm okay under the hood, having changed standard things like alternator and starters and such. But I've never tried replacing a clutch. My 82 (has an 88 5.0 with a T5 transmission) is pretty hard to shift and clunks hard quite often when shifting, so I suspect it is in need of a new clutch. The parts are less than $200, but most auto places around me want $600 to $1000 to do the job. Can I tackle this myself? How hard is it to drop the transmission myself? Should I not even try this? Give me your advice, please!

And in case anyone would want to lend me a hand, I live in Louisville, KY.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:20 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default RE: Am I capable of replacing clutch myself?

i've done on outside the car. simple install. now doing with motor in the car, everyone says its easy, just more stuff in your way. should take you a day.....weekend at most.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:43 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Drop the tranny and your there. It is not difficult. If you have no experience wait till the weekend so you can give yourself a couple of days. Buy a manual, i have one on every car i own. It may not be the clutch, other people will chime in and maybe think it is something else but you may have to drop tranny anyway.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:05 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: bzn5150

I'm okay under the hood, having changed standard things like alternator and starters and such. But I've never tried replacing a clutch. My 82 (has an 88 5.0 with a T5 transmission) is pretty hard to shift and clunks hard quite often when shifting, so I suspect it is in need of a new clutch. The parts are less than $200, but most auto places around me want $600 to $1000 to do the job. Can I tackle this myself? How hard is it to drop the transmission myself? Should I not even try this? Give me your advice, please!

And in case anyone would want to lend me a hand, I live in Louisville, KY.
what do you mean it clunks? could you describe you problems more? does it do it always? in certain gears, certain speeds/ RPMs? what other symptoms? this way we cannarrow it down, you dont go throwin part on until you know the answer. saves you time and trouble.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:56 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

I just changed out my clutch last weekend for the first time. It wasnt as hard as I thought it would be. I just had a friend help me with the tranny... this link will give you an idea of what is involved http://www.cartechbooks.com/vstore/s...5&CATID=21
Old 08-20-2007, 02:57 PM
bzn5150

In first gear, when I push the clutch in, it makes a bit of a clunking sound. I haven't had any problems shifting other than it sometimes doesn't want to downshift into second without double clutching it (rarely does this), and the clutch is pretty hard, but not super hard, to press in. Any thoughts? Oh, also, when shifting from gear to gear, I feel like I have to pull or push the shifter pretty hard, as though there are little catches I'm having to get past or something.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:02 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

is it an aftermarket clutch thats in there now? i think you need a new adj. clutch cable and quad
Old 08-20-2007, 09:00 PM
irish1
2nd Gear Member

I'm not sure you need a clutch, a tranny, or to adjust the clutch. If you have done starters/alternators, basic tune-ups, with a little patience you can do a clutch. There are a few things I would recommend:
1. Take pictures of how it all looks, lots of them, before you start wrenching and then can't remember wherethat bolt goes.
2. As you remove bolts and pieces, clean them, label them, and put them where you won't loose them, don't ask me how I know this.
3. Consider having the tranny checked out while you have it out, it is a lot cheaper when you bring it to a shop, take it home and install it yourself.
4. Firewall adjuster and aftermarket quadrant if you don't have one is good.
5. Ask a friend to help, T5's aren't really a heavy tranny, but it hurts when they fall on you andandare a little tricky to juggle by yourself.
6. When I did mine last year, someone on this site was nice enough to tell me to push the clutch pedal in when the tranny would not mate the last quater inch to the motor, this really worked for me.
7. Get a good quality pilot bearing
8. Get a good clutch
Most of this you probably already know, but in case you didn't, hope it helps!
Matt

Old 08-20-2007, 09:06 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

its pretty straigh forward and easy. how ever you may need a torch if your exhaust bolts are rusted and stuck. other than that exhaust comes down then the bolts that hold the drive shaft to the rear. after that get a jack under the trans. take the trany mount out and then start unbolting the trany and it will slide right out. just dont drop it on yourself or the ground. make sure you get your fly wheel replaced or turned to get rid of all the heat cracks and so its no a mirror finish anymore
Old 08-20-2007, 09:06 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

i don't hink you need a clutch either......synchros are the "hard shifting" culprit, you need a rebuild is my guess.

after you have done a clutch once......you can do it by yourself in 2 hours labor time. real time is more since you should always have your flywheel resurfaced, but super super easy

like stated......if you need a rebuild you will save mucho dinero by bringing it in, and when you have it out ? you can view the clutch and pressure plate.

Quick Reply: Am I capable of replacing clutch myself?