5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

KOEO / KOER / Cylinder balance test

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: KOEO / KOER / Cylinder balance test

Took the car for a drive and it's idling at like 3000 RPM... What the hell!!!

Took it home and reset the base idle to 650 - 700 and it's dying when I stop and is constantly searching for idle. This crap is about to make me sell the damn thing. I have been dealing with this for 7 months.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Texas5.0

Took the car for a drive and it's idling at like 3000 RPM... What the hell!!!

Took it home and reset the base idle to 650 - 700 and it's dying when I stop and is constantly searching for idle. This crap is about to make me sell the damn thing. I have been dealing with this for 7 months.
At ease man....we're here to help.

Did you reset the ECM after the idle reset?...if not, do it and run the KOEO first and then, make sure the engine is at op temp, and run the KOER. If code 91 is a "real code", it needs to be fixed to prevent the engine from stalling. Need to go through the steps to correct it......[sm=trust_me.gif] ... I do this $hit every day.....

Old 08-26-2007, 10:17 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Have you checked for vacuum leaks?
Old 08-27-2007, 08:08 AM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

I have replaced every vacuum hose under the hood that I found. I have done the starter fluid vacuum leak test with no leaks found. I also checked the seal on the intake and again no leaks found.

I am going to reset the ECM and run the test again. I'll update when I have the outcome.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:52 AM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

I reset the ECM and ran a KOEO and got a 29 - insufficient input from the vehicle speed sensor (VSS). Not sure what that is.

Just found this tech atricle....

Code 29 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is an electronic sender mounted on the speedo pickup gear on the trans. It works the cruse control for both 5 speed and auto trans cars. On auto trans cars, it tells the computer to speed up the idle slightly as you slow down to a stop to keep the engine from stalling. Check to see if the electrical connector is plugged into it. Cost is under $30 and it is easy to replace.

So where is this little jewel... this is the problem that I have been having for 8 months!!!!!

I have cruise control but it has not worked since I bought the car. I just read it again and saw that it is for auto trans... I have a 5 speed. Does my car have this VSS?
Old 08-27-2007, 10:16 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Texas5.0

I reset the ECM and ran a KOEO and got a 29 - insufficient input from the vehicle speed sensor (VSS). Not sure what that is.

Just found this tech atricle....

Code 29 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is an electronic sender mounted on the speedo pickup gear on the trans. It works the cruse control for both 5 speed and auto trans cars. On auto trans cars, it tells the computer to speed up the idle slightly as you slow down to a stop to keep the engine from stalling. Check to see if the electrical connector is plugged into it. Cost is under $30 and it is easy to replace.

So where is this little jewel... this is the problem that I have been having for 8 months!!!!!

I have cruise control but it has not worked since I bought the car. I just read it again and saw that it is for auto trans... I have a 5 speed. Does my car have this VSS?
Yes...it does have it. The "VSS only used for CC" misconception/misinformation is old....and wrong.

FYI....the VSS is used for idle control in all types of transmission setups. It allows the ECM to activate the IAC via a dashpot function (leave it open for a higher idle between shifts and while MPH ≥ 6 ......The VSS sensor is on the driver's side, transmission tail shaft housing. Fix it, you'll see that the stalling problem when coming to a stop will be solved....BTSTDTRT (=Been There Seen That Done That Repaired That)...
Old 08-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

Joel... what does it look like. I am learning and need to know what I am looking for.

Also, you say fix it.I take it that means replace it?

Joel. Do you happen to have a part number?
Old 08-27-2007, 11:36 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

The one below is from a SN95, but it's in the same area....

VSS sensor = 7799544 (GP Sorensen)..FF1016 (Niehoff)....SC46 (Standard Motor Products)

Need to check the two wires to the ECM....make sure none is open + check the VSS(-) ground wire.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:44 AM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

I found it... got the part from Oreilly. Letting the car cool down and will get it put on. Man I hope this fixes the problem.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:40 PM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

IT FIXED THE DAMN IDLE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My cruise control even works now! No more idle surges, no more dying at stop lights or while down shifting. It idles like a brand new car... about 650-700 RPM's... nice and steady. Sweet Davey Jonesit is such a great relief... it has only taken me since December. Thanks for your help Joel and Samseed and everyone else that haschimed in with helpful info on all my threads about sh*ty idle problems.

However... out came a new code. 67-O and 29 is back... Joel my man.. what now?

Quick Reply: KOEO / KOER / Cylinder balance test