5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

lets see if i get a response this time...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 08:16 PM
vtecwho
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: lets see if i get a response this time...

ORIGINAL: mattdel

this is the tech section.

people come here for info to fix/mod things

we shouldn't have to compile a shopping list for him. summit's website has everything he could ever dream of. it's really not that hard.
well when i got my 5.0 i did not know anything about it..... even what summit was! not all are all-knowing like you. matter of fact one of the first things i did was join this forum to learn.

to the OP, if your looking for a high MPG car im not sure if carb is good for that. just think of what yo want to do with your ride and how you want to use it, ask questions, and people will give you opinions and try to steer you in the right direction.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:19 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Carburated all the way...as far as your 85 goes leave it carbed I have 3 carburated mustangs and tuning them is a lot quicker and easier then a efi mustang... no chips to have burned...... as far as max hp from a stock block and achieving reliability 400 hp is a good range to shoot for take your stock block have it redone bored .030 add a set of flat top forged pistons.....a decent cam....your 85 if it was carbed and not the cfi fuel injection should be a roller cam block then add a set of aluminum heads.....rpm air gap intake and a 650 double pumper with mech secondaries ...have at least 3.73 gears and a full supporting exhaust and you'll be running 12's easily
Old 08-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chas85

i just bought an 85 5.0 (carburated). every performance related parti look up is geared towards the almighty "fuel injected". what kind of horsepower can i get out of the stock block and is there anyway to tell if it's an HO (high output)? since it's carburated?andshould i convert to fuel injected or stick with carburated? i personally don't care which kind it is, i just want to build up some horsepower. i ripped off the headers and found out i have two burned intake flaps so i have to take it to napa to get it fixed asap. but other than that it runs fine. any suggestions? please help, i would like some responses this time.
.... so aftermarket cylinder heads are for EFI only.....performance camshafts for EFI only.....no intakes available for a carburetor......[sm=wakeup.gif] man....anyway, simple way to check if it a roller-ready block, remove the starter and check the casting number of the block, or remove the intake and check the lifters valley......if you want to build some horsepower, you first need to make a plan (Carb or EFI?.....it's your money, so you decide). [sm=signs003.gif]
Old 08-29-2007, 08:39 PM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

i second the carb being the best. ive run efi for the last year and a half and im about to go carbed on my 347 stroker. heres some of the reasons why to stay carbed. #1 fuel pump change is much easier due to the fact that if your tank isnt sumped and set up for an external fuel pump you have to drop the tank in order to change it. #2 no computer that relies on sensor feeds of a wide variety to run at idle. #3 much easier air system cleaning due to the location of the air intake system. #4 easy idle adjustment vs way more complicating with the efi. as far as horsepower both setups can produce big numbers as long as they are setup correctly. the advantage of efi vs carb is that when it is set correctly it will compensate for atmospheric conditions automatically and adjust the air fuel ratio accordingly. ive had days where we were at the track and due to conditions we couldnt decide whether it would be better to lean the motor more or keep it the same. either way you go it will take alot of research and learning to be accurate with either one. the best advice i can give you is the same advice my dad gave me when i started racing, he told me that gaining knowledge of mechanics through other racers and enthusiasts opinions are like eating watermellons, when start eating watermellons the first thing you learn is that the seeds in them are like every opinion, some you can chew on and swallow and others you have to spit out, the more watermellon you eat the more you learn which seeds have to be spit out immediatly and which ones can be swallowed, although you will never spit out every seed that needs to be spit out, after a while you can easily see which ones needs to be spit out immediatly. with that said start eating watermellon so you can learn more about the seeds. good luck and good eating
Old 08-30-2007, 08:16 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Start a Google search, there is everything in the world for carbed 5.0 Fords out there.
Remember in nearly 50 years they have been everyplace from NASCAR to the Indy 500 and of course in the Shelby cars.
12's? really there are lot'ssome commonly running 11's.....
Old 08-30-2007, 08:49 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

Soooo, about those intake flaps... what exactly is it that you're talking about??
Old 08-31-2007, 06:14 AM
creekrat
3rd Gear Member

Yes, what exactly is an intake flap?
Old 08-31-2007, 07:33 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

yeah im glad you guys are finally coming around to the whole intake flap thing.

maybe he has one of these on top of his carb [&:]
Old 08-31-2007, 07:38 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

lol lol good one 77stang!!! I know what that is!!!! My dad had those on his jet boat ===through the hull exhaust and those were the flaps to belp eliminate water entry
Old 08-31-2007, 10:01 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

seriously what is a intake flap?

Quick Reply: lets see if i get a response this time...