5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

adder I need your help

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 04:05 PM
ahittz24
3rd Gear Member

Default adder I need your help

1991 5.0 with a brand new 306 that I just built.

I got it all back together and the only thing that I am lacking right now is a coolant overflow tank. I put a vaccum plug over the overflow spout and put a hose clamp on it just for the mean time. I burped the system and filled it to the max and drove it for less than 3 min. didn't even get it to operating temp. pulled it back in the shop and looked under the hood. There is water everywhere on the driverside so I just left it alone for the night and figured I needed a new radiator cap anyways. I went and got a new cap and when I took the old one off, about a cup and a half of fluid spewed out (keep in mind that the motor is COMPLETELY cold.) I have a 3.8 taurus fan on a copper/brass 3 core radiator...

Any idea of what the problem could be?

I am seriously hoping that the system is not being pressurized by the engine,is there any way to tell?
Old 08-31-2007, 04:22 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Default RE: adder I need your help

ORIGINAL: ahittz24

I got it all back together and the only thing that I am lacking right now is a coolant overflow tank. I put a vaccum plug over the overflow spout and put a hose clamp on it just for the mean time. I burped the system and filled it to the max and drove it for less than 3 min. didn't even get it to operating temp. pulled it back in the shop and looked under the hood. There is water everywhere on the driverside so I just left it alone for the night and figured I needed a new radiator cap anyways. I went and got a new cap and when I took the old one off, about a cup and a half of fluid spewed out (keep in mind that the motor is COMPLETELY cold.) I have a 3.8 taurus fan on a copper/brass 3 core radiator...

I am seriously hoping that the system is not being pressurized by the engine,is there any way to tell?
coolant expands

I have not had a reservoir for years, just have to run the raditor a quart low. I put rtv inside the metal tube that u clamped then pinched it shut with needle nose pliers and folded it shut GENTLY.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:35 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

+1, when that water gets even a little hot it needs some where to expand into.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:40 PM
ahittz24
3rd Gear Member

I understand that but why would it spew over AFTER the motor is dead cold and 1 day later?
Old 08-31-2007, 04:46 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

The overflow tank is there to relieve pressure as well. The cap lifts up a hair under pressure and lets coolant into that hose you have blocked. With no where for the pressure to escape it will just stay in there until released manually.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:47 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

ORIGINAL: mattgt1000

what an *** kisser
Right, adder isnt the only one that can answer questions [&:]
Old 08-31-2007, 04:51 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

I understand that but why would it spew over AFTER the motor is dead cold and 1 day later?
TOTALLY NORMAL .

When you say you did not let it get to operating temperature, you did not burp the system, you will see your car get hot, then dramatically cool down as the thermo opens and all the bubles are gone

Keep the cap in the vent position(not fully off but open), start it up, let it get hot and when fluid starts to come out hot and liquid only(, not just steam and air) tighten the cap while the car is still running.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:55 PM
ahittz24
3rd Gear Member

I let it get to operating temp with no cap and then put the cap on later that day, then drove it, and the mess was there....
Old 08-31-2007, 05:01 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

should of put the cap on as soon as the hot fluid starting coming out, whatever you do, dont shut that motor off

i had the same problem after my build, just drive it around and give it some time to get in all the knicks and crannies.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:02 PM
ahittz24
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattgt1000

what an *** kisser

no actually I just try to weed out information that isnt worth dick from people who have no idea what they are talking about. I have recieved credible information from him and therefore I trust what he has to say....

there are many people on here that i trust... but there are many more that I dont. if you had something credible to say besides "what an *** kisser" then maybe you would be one of the people whos information I would take heed of. I have nothing to gain by being on adders good or bad side, frankly... I couldnt give a rats ***... hes full of good info because he has been in many of the same situations as what we experience when we have problems and has the solution to many of thoseproblems....

Quick Reply: adder I need your help