5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Rotten Egg Smell..Bad Vibration.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 09:05 PM
Black95MustangGT
4th Gear Member

Default Rotten Egg Smell..Bad Vibration.

While driving around tonight, i notice my car has a real bad vibration going on. It shakes from corner to corner inside the vehicle, when WOT it gets horrible in higher rpms. Could it be my driveshaft? Maybe my UV Joints?

I know the rotten egg smell is from the cats being clogged up, but im replacing them with a h pipe im ordering in a couple of days, could that cause the vibration?
Old 09-01-2007, 09:15 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Rotten Egg Smell..Bad Vibration.

have you taken your drive shaft out right before you started feeling the vibration?
Old 09-01-2007, 09:41 PM
creekrat
3rd Gear Member

Did the problems start at the same time? Could be fuel related.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

sounds like you are running rich. Thats what 99% of the time the rotten egg smell is. Have that checked out. Especially with the vibration. Seems like maybe your not igniting the fuel. Missing. Check to make sure all wires are in good shape and away from the header/manifold. When was the last time you replaced the sparkplugs? Any cracks in your dist? How is the coil?
Old 09-01-2007, 10:15 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

the rotten egg smell and vibration are probably related!!!! it has a miss probably and in dumping unburt raw fuel into the exhaust!! you need to see if it's running bad cause a vaccum leak?? bad wire???? injector stuck open??? ect ect!!!! could be alot of things
Old 09-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Black95MustangGT
4th Gear Member

i actually do smell gas more now, i was ordering plugs and wires and cap and rotor tomorrow, and im checking my driveshaft. i do have a little vacuum leak, i heard a whistling noise for the past couple of days but never got to it because of work, now that noise is gone and it does everything i said it was doing
Old 09-02-2007, 10:14 AM
Black95MustangGT
4th Gear Member

I checked some things out today, found no vacuum leaks. I looked at my spark plug wires. and on the driver side. the 3rd spark plug looking from the front of the car , the wire isnt fully onto the plug it looks like. You can perfectly read the Bosch brand on the spark plug. and of course i tried minglin with it and stuff but it wont go any further
Old 09-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Black95MustangGT
4th Gear Member

Looked more into this issue, got underneath the car and saw its leaking some kind of fluid right past the catalyctic converters are. I havent been able to see the color of the fluid or anything, im all dressed up for stuff. It looks like a purple fluid also. I'm thinking maybe its not leaking from the exhaust, but leaking from the tranny onto the exhaust? I do have to rebuild the tranny, im doing that next week.

I'm thinking the shaking and the smell are comming from the verts, if it IS leaking from the exhaust, could it be my cats are stopped up?
Old 09-02-2007, 07:52 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black95MustangGT

While driving around tonight, i notice my car has a real bad vibration going on. It shakes from corner to corner inside the vehicle, when WOT it gets horrible in higher rpms. Could it be my driveshaft? Maybe my UV Joints?

I know the rotten egg smell is from the cats being clogged up, but im replacing them with a h pipe im ordering in a couple of days, could that cause the vibration?
misfiring, egr valve issue, etc. Check your plugs and look for signs of a lean or rich condition, it will be very obvious
Old 09-02-2007, 08:08 PM
paper doll

deffinatly sounds like the cats are causing the smell and vibration. one may have burnt up and it's causing some back up in the flow of the exhaust, which will make the system vibrate

Quick Reply: Rotten Egg Smell..Bad Vibration.