5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HELP!!! throttle sticking!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 05:00 PM
telsonman
3rd Gear Member

Default HELP!!! throttle sticking!!!

so i just put a PP 70mm throttle body on today. i went to start it up to adjust the idle, and the pedal is sticking to the floor, and the TB valve is staying open. i went to investigate, and when i take of the throttle cable, the TB works fine, but when i attach it, it hardly budges, and when it does it sticks. also, when detached, the throttle cable works fine too.it was working fine with the stock throttle body. i'm debating if i should go switch it with the old one. i need this fixed because i have class at 930 in the morning.

any ideas on what i can do???
Old 09-03-2007, 05:03 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Default RE: HELP!!! throttle sticking!!!

I would start by looking for interference with you cable somewhere. Sounds like you did something when you were putting it on. With the cable unhooked, will it move freely(the cable that is)?
Old 09-03-2007, 07:13 PM
telsonman
3rd Gear Member

yes it will. i checked everything. i just put the stock one back on so that i could go to the grocery. it works fine. with the new one, everything went together good and worked except for when i attached that throttle cable. then it sticks. i pulled the cable and looked for snags, nothing. its like this. if i just unhook the cable, pull the old TB off, put in new one, reattach cable. it sticks. then i can take the new one off, attach old one, and everything works fine. i don't understand it. the little piece that the throttle cable attaches to moves freely when it isn't hooked up to the cable.

i'm totally lost on what to do...
Old 09-03-2007, 07:18 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

is the base idle screw adjusted properly?
Old 09-03-2007, 07:47 PM
telsonman
3rd Gear Member

yes, but it has nothing to do with the idle. it has something to do with the cable.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:49 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

uhh, no.
if the idle screw isn't just barely relieving tension of the spring, it will bind up as you initially hit the pedal.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:05 PM
telsonman
3rd Gear Member

are you talking about the little bitty screw down there that goes horizontal, or the bigger(13mm?) screw that goes vertical that is on the same stud that the spring and butterfly is on??? i've moved that vertical screw up and down, but it seems that if it is too high that the valve won't open, but then when it is too loose, the throttle cable still won't move easily and sticks.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:10 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

yah, the little itty bitty one
Old 09-03-2007, 08:39 PM
telsonman
3rd Gear Member

but it isn't just binding up a little. when messing with the throttle by hand, if i open the valve, it stays open(unless the throttle cable is detached). then i have to use quite a bit of pressure to close it. looking at it, that little screw doesn't really seem to affect the throttle cable that much. i just don't understand why it won't budge with the new TB on there.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:40 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

i noticed when I had a PP throttle body it has to have the return spring end right above the idle set screw, i also wraped the spring another turn for more tension

Quick Reply: HELP!!! throttle sticking!!!