5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

not sure what this sound is

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 11:00 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default not sure what this sound is

ok so i recently took off all my exhaust, driveshaft (it took a 24" breaker bar and i had to put all my weight into it...i thought i was breaking the bolts but they came out finally) i replaced both U joints couple weeks ago and its all tight and looks good works well.

i wire brushed the under body down to the bare metal with a angle grinder and a wire brush attachment. i wire brushed from the bell housing to the diff everything i could reach on the under body.now get this, i collected over 3 1/2 pounds of old paint, dirt, grime and shyte!i laid down plastic and when i was all donei weighed it on my digi scale. anyways i primered and painted it black and boy does it look gooooood! ill post pics when i get home.

anyways, heres my questions. i put everything back together and took it out for a test drive. smooth as silk now driving up to about 40 mph is as fast as i went. but from idle to 1200 when i take off i hear a slight clunk clunk clunk when i take off. i checked exhaust and drive shaft. its all tight and nothign is moving, nothing is touching. noise sounds like its coming from the pass side from the rear side of the car. not sure what else could be out of balance!?!

btw, i did not remove tranny, just exhaust and driveshaft. everything else stayed in place. the clunk noise goes away after the initial take off. any ideas? it doesnt do it when i rev or anything and not in any other gear. just in 1st when i take off.

other questions what color should tranny fluid be when i pulled the drive shaft be. and how much normally comes out when you remove tranny? i had about maybeeeeee 2 or 3 tablespoons worth come out. car was jacked up level from front to back, no tilt involved.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:27 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default RE: not sure what this sound is

lol anyone? tranny maybe? wheels? anyone have ideas? something i didnt do correctly?
Old 09-04-2007, 01:32 PM
smallblockfox

I would guess exhaust, maybe trans mount (coincidence, not probably from the stuff you just did)...
Old 09-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Sounds like the problem on mine when I replaced the H-pipe and such. Your exhaust is probably hitting the frame or rear axle. When u rev the engine, the exhaust tends to move with it a little bit so even if you aren't hitting when the car is idle/off it may hit when revved up.

Did you weigh the paint and primer going back on the car!
Old 09-04-2007, 02:31 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Btw my exhaust hits the front part of the body where it is reinforced to act like a frame. About 2 inches down from the flange on my stock headers. Where my catco H pipe bends to a more horizontal position and heads back. All of this is below the firewall if I had to guesstimate its location.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:52 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: Tony71502

Sounds like the problem on mine when I replaced the H-pipe and such. Your exhaust is probably hitting the frame or rear axle. When u rev the engine, the exhaust tends to move with it a little bit so even if you aren't hitting when the car is idle/off it may hit when revved up.

Did you weigh the paint and primer going back on the car!
i have clearnence all the way down the entire length of the car. at least 3-4 inches from axel to exhaust and at least 1 1/2 inches from top of exhaust hump to the frame rail. so its not hitting anything, i know that for sure. if its the trans mount wouldnt it sound like it was right under me or can it travel back? the noise is just that, i dont physically feel vibration anymore....just sounds like it. pretty loud too. and no it doesnt make the noise when i rev per my previous post. only take off in first does it ever make the noise.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:56 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

and no, the paint is no where near 3 1/2 pounds. not even 1/8 of 3 1/2 pounds. the grime was seriouslly.....maybe between 1/16th to 1/8th inch thick in some places. directly above my tailshaft it was almost 1/4 inch thick....i think the seal there might have broke at one time and slung tranny fuild up there. and dirt stuck to that, it was still kind of wet ish....

does anyone know the answer to my tranny fluid ?'s
Old 09-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Looking back....
Fluid coming out of the tranny after removing the driveshaft is normal. The sound could be coming from your joints, not tightened enough or lined up well enough?
Old 09-04-2007, 03:56 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: Tony71502

Looking back....
Fluid coming out of the tranny after removing the driveshaft is normal. The sound could be coming from your joints, not tightened enough or lined up well enough?
omg.....

i know its normal i was asking how much is normal. few table spoons or a quarter or what?

my u joints are brand new and you dont tighten U joints and you dont line anything up, that are all clipped into place by retainer clips. do you know what U joints are?

and i did mark the drive shaft and put it back in the same place i found it and the bolts in the same place they came out of. nothing has changed there. they did get torqued down cross pattern wise evenly.

i know all that is new....so im asking what else it could be, between me and you we cleared up the exhaust issue, so i was asking what else it could possibly be
Old 09-04-2007, 04:47 PM
ACE
4th Gear Member

I would say go over your bolts on the driveshaft again just to make sure its tight. If the noise is only in 1st gear and not when you rev it or rev while sitting still, then it has to be in your driveshaft. Do you have the splines correctly lined up?

Quick Reply: not sure what this sound is