5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

347 w/ Eagle Stroker, what type of head

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 12:08 AM
jdowell

Default 347 w/ Eagle Stroker, what type of head

Please help:
I have a 347 Eagle stroker kit part number 16022, pro built short block, with a Ford F cam installed, need some help in figuring out which head intake combo to use. I have been told with the piston setup i cannot run a Trick Flow head, Eagle has a diferent part numb. for that setup.So im thinking maybe AFR 165, will they work? and for a intake maybe Trick Flow Track heat ? any info would be helpfull

The car is going to be used for driving on the street and with no blower or bottle.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:26 AM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 347 w/ Eagle Stroker, what type of head

Why not twisted wedge's? the track heat is a good intake, you may also want to look into a holley systemaxx
Old 09-08-2007, 12:55 AM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

1. You need a better cam, thats a 302 cam and does not have the durration you need on a stroker.
CompCams XFI "347 EFI stroker" cam is nice, its what I run ........ or a custom would be best from Jay Allen or Ed Curtis
You will need to upgrade your valve springs too.

2. Get the biggest head you can afford. AFR 185's minimum, 205's wouldn't hurt
RHS 200's and Canfield 192 and very good also.
Looked up your part number and Eagle says you will have 10.3-1 compression with 58cc heads and thats perfect.

3. Get bigger intake than Track Heat, TFS-R or similar at least.

Strokers need the proper cam and LOTS of airflow in and out to make the big power that they should.
You just spent a lot on a 347, dont sell yourself short with 302 heads, cam, intake and shorty headers

Some AFR 205's with 58cc chambers, custom cam from Ed Curtis with one of his "AFR valve spring kits"
along with 1 3/4 LT's and Trickflow R or Edlebrock Victor 5.0 or Edlebrock Vic Jr. EFI with TB elbow will make that 347 ROAR!!!!
Old 09-08-2007, 09:14 AM
andywear87
2nd Gear Member

i would say afr 185 headsand aholley supermaxx intake and deff a diff cam custom is the way to go on a cam and you'll be satisfied
Old 09-08-2007, 09:29 AM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

c'on man 205 heads....reading too many mags.....I would dump that POS cam....you need to ask yourself what you want from the car and it's main purpose....the engine needs a daul pattern cam......are the pistons fly cut to accept large valves and a large duration cam?....if the car is stock bodied and heavy I would ops for a roller that's has a 110 C/L and a smallish valve in the 1.90 or 2.02 range...no way you need a 2.05 heads....and also in no way you need anything less that a aluminum head....
ORIGINAL: r.barn

1. You need a better cam, thats a 302 cam and does not have the durration you need on a stroker.
CompCams XFI "347 EFI stroker" cam is nice, its what I run ........ or a custom would be best from Jay Allen or Ed Curtis
You will need to upgrade your valve springs too.

2. Get the biggest head you can afford. AFR 185's minimum, 205's wouldn't hurt
RHS 200's and Canfield 192 and very good also.
Looked up your part number and Eagle says you will have 10.3-1 compression with 58cc heads and thats perfect.

3. Get bigger intake than Track Heat, TFS-R or similar at least.

Strokers need the proper cam and LOTS of airflow in and out to make the big power that they should.
You just spent a lot on a 347, dont sell yourself short with 302 heads, cam, intake and shorty headers

Some AFR 205's with 58cc chambers, custom cam from Ed Curtis with one of his "AFR valve spring kits"
along with 1 3/4 LT's and Trickflow R or Edlebrock Victor 5.0 or Edlebrock Vic Jr. EFI with TB elbow will make that 347 ROAR!!!!
Old 09-08-2007, 09:59 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

900 dollar 185 patriots FTW

(im gonna keep saying that until someone buys em and comes back with feedback on these things)
Old 09-08-2007, 10:51 AM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2 kwik

c'on man 205 heads....reading too many mags.....I would dump that POS cam....you need to ask yourself what you want from the car and it's main purpose....the engine needs a daul pattern cam......are the pistons fly cut to accept large valves and a large duration cam?....if the car is stock bodied and heavy I would ops for a roller that's has a 110 C/L and a smallish valve in the 1.90 or 2.02 range...no way you need a 2.05 heads....and also in no way you need anything less that a aluminum head..
You need to read more magazines then I guess.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO BIG OF A HEAD ON A SMALL BLOCK FORD
(with the right cam)

The more head you put on there, the more power you will make, with a good cam.
Why not go ahead and spend an extra $400 now and make a lot more power?

Sick of all these numb nuts saying, "that too much head ..... or you dont need that much"
BullShyt!!!!!!! buy the biggest head you can afford.
I know people running 185's on a freak'n 306!!!! and running 11's, but according to you they have
too big of a cylinder head on there. ............ Their track times would disagree with you.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:52 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

900 dollar 185 patriots FTW

(im gonna keep saying that until someone buys em and comes back with feedback on these things)
I have noticed that you have been pushing that head pretty hard. I figured you wanted someone to be a guinea pig. If enough people buy them and like them, the price will be rising. So you go ahead and buy some and let us know how they are.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:02 PM
88ttops
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: r.barn

ORIGINAL: 2 kwik

c'on man 205 heads....reading too many mags.....I would dump that POS cam....you need to ask yourself what you want from the car and it's main purpose....the engine needs a daul pattern cam......are the pistons fly cut to accept large valves and a large duration cam?....if the car is stock bodied and heavy I would ops for a roller that's has a 110 C/L and a smallish valve in the 1.90 or 2.02 range...no way you need a 2.05 heads....and also in no way you need anything less that a aluminum head..
You need to read more magazines then I guess.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO BIG OF A HEAD ON A SMALL BLOCK FORD
(with the right cam)

The more head you put on there, the more power you will make, with a good cam.
Why not go ahead and spend an extra $400 now and make a lot more power?

Sick of all these numb nuts saying, "that too much head ..... or you dont need that much"
BullShyt!!!!!!! buy the biggest head you can afford.
I know people running 185's on a freak'n 306!!!! and running 11's, but according to you they have
too big of a cylinder head on there. ............ Their track times would disagree with you.
You can't be serious!!! that is all i have to say about that... Go with the twisted or the AFR 185 and they will flow just right for what you have... If you want to step up later there is always room for improvement via porting... Guys i think he has the cam in there that he is going to use but i do agree go bigger when you have the chance you want to be around .560 to .600 lift and about 240 duration at .050 that would make an ok street cam... Don't listen to that yahoo bigger is not always better...
Old 09-08-2007, 12:14 PM
jdowell

Hey, thanks for all the tech info, just what i needed, although 88ttops hit on the head, im going to stick with theF cam installed due to the fact the local machine shop already did the work, and i dont feel comfortable changing it myself. I cant use the TFS heads because my pistons (Keith Black flat tops) have stock valve reliefs. Its a different eagle part number if your going to use TFS heads, soooo im leaning towards the AFR 185, with a TFS track R intake? that sound about right 375HP at the wheels? whacha think? The car is just going to bea weekend driver. any more sugestions would befantastic!

Quick Reply: 347 w/ Eagle Stroker, what type of head