5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Couple issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 06:34 PM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

Default Couple issues

My car is running ok, but it seems like its lacking in power... i have a suspition that im running on 7 cylinders, but theres no smoke, and no back firing, but i want to check anyway, besides spark plug wires and plugs, what else should i check

also, when i let off the gas, it stays the same RPM for about a second, and then goes down, what could cause this, its been doing it for a while, and its not the TPS

the reason i think im missing a cyl is because it idles a little rough, and i have almost no power past 2nd gear
Old 09-10-2007, 07:18 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Couple issues

Crank it up and start pulling wires. If you get to a wire that when pulled it does not affect the engine, then you have found the dead cyl. Now all that other stuff is efi and i cant help you too much with that. But i would take off the iac and clean it real well, it could be sticking. Inspect your dist. cover well for cracks and see what your rotor looks like. It could just be time for a tune-up. Wires, plugs,dist. cap,rotor,air filter,fuel filter.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:56 PM
ACE
4th Gear Member

Sounds like you have a clogged/bad fuel filter! I had the same problem on my 82. Changed it and all was well!
Old 09-10-2007, 08:15 PM
bikeboy587
4th Gear Member

Not to hack your thread...[/align][/align]i have the same problem on my car with the RPMs staying when letting off the gas to shift. i have replaced my fuel filter, air filter is newer, cap, rotor, dist. coil, checked timings and cleaned IAC and it still does it. along the way i discovered i was running very lean and i ordered new injectors that will be here tom bec mine were not misting, they were streaming. but i still dont know why my RPMs hang like op described... [/align]
Old 09-10-2007, 08:27 PM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

yeah, i think im gonna go with a new filter and some injectors, what size, should i go 24, i plan on modding the engine soon enough
Old 09-10-2007, 09:32 PM
94Blk5.0
5th Gear Member

Whoa now, adding bigger injectors is probabaly not going to solve anything. Make sure the T.B is cleaned out and check for vaccum leaks. Sound like you need a new fuelfilter, as mentioned. Make sure the MAF senor is clean while your at it. The igniton conmonet need to be in workin order. Fix the problem before you try to modify, you just end up compounding the problem. Run some injector cleaner through your next tank of gas, too.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bikeboy587

Not to hack your thread...[/align][/align]i have the same problem on my car with the RPMs staying when letting off the gas to shift. i have replaced my fuel filter, air filter is newer, cap, rotor, dist. coil, checked timings and cleaned IAC and it still does it. along the way i discovered i was running very lean and i ordered new injectors that will be here tom bec mine were not misting, they were streaming. but i still dont know why my RPMs hang like op described... [/align]
Throttle cable is bad or routed incorrectly... My car did the same thing.

Sadly, the cable is about $80 new if you get a deal and not available aftermarket for the Fox.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:01 PM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

yeah, i replaced the filter, and it SEEMS like it fixed it, wont really know until tomorrow, but im still gonna get some seafoam and run it through the tank.

P.S. YAY for rusty coolant, you can guess the rest
Old 09-10-2007, 10:09 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

lol, if you were on 7 cylinders you'd know [8D]
Old 09-10-2007, 10:10 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FuzzyDiceRule

P.S. YAY for rusty coolant, you can guess the rest