5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

power loss after warmup

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 04:44 PM
chicogotgreen
1st Gear Member

Default power loss after warmup

My car has been running pretty badly for quite some time now. It runs decent (though still not as good as it should) for the first 20 minutes or so after i start driving it, but as it starts to warm up, it gradualy looses power. Once the temp gauge gets around half way, you can already feel a noticable loss of power. Once it gets to just one mark below the red lvl, the car has lost so much torque that you can floor it just after launch, and the car just hooks up and takes off. Normaly, i have to wait to alteast 1/2 way through the rpm range to be able to floor it (in first gear) without spinning the tires. Can you all think of any problems that would make the car act this way?

I don't really know if this is related, but since it happened relatively recently i'll mention it anyways. I recently had the ecu replaced (which actualy did make it go from running unbelievably bad to decent). Right after that the car had a problem with not being able to rev very high ( i mean like it wouldnt rev above 5 grand at times) once it got hot. But after i drove the car for a few days the problem pretty much went away, so i thought that it was just the new ecu getting attuned to all the mods on the engine.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:50 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

Default RE: power loss after warmup

whats the oil pressure?

run the new ecu for codes, assuming a sensor is bad once the ecu runs open loop
Old 09-13-2007, 05:27 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

get your volt/ohm meter out and test the coolant temp sensor. my tech article about running rich provides the procedure.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:00 PM
chicogotgreen
1st Gear Member

the oil pressure is around the middle of the gauge. I dont have a code reader, but its hard for me to believe that after the car has been in the shop three times, and after i told them i wasnt going to come back if they didnt fix it, that the mechanic would forget to do something as obvious as check codes.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:14 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

check your coolant temp sensor like mattdel said... and dont re-post until...
Old 09-14-2007, 08:18 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chicogotgreen

My car has been running pretty badly for quite some time now.

It runs decent
(though still not as good as it should) for the first 20 minutes or so after i start driving it, but as it starts to warm up, it gradualy looses power. Once the temp gauge gets around half way, you can already feel a noticable loss of power.

Once it gets to just one mark below the red lvl, the car has lost so much torque that you can floor it just after launch, and the car just hooks up and takes off.

. But after i drove the car for a few days the problem pretty much went away, so i thought that it was just the new ecu getting attuned to all the mods on the engine.
My questions are

1.What mods do you have?

2. What is the calibration code for the ECU you took out and the ECU you put in, or was the sticker missing?

3.What did the mechanic do to your car on your work order? and what were his reasons to believe your ECM was at fault in the first place?