5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Lets put DSS blocks to the test

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 04:10 AM
strangebrew
1st Gear Member

Default Lets put DSS blocks to the test

My new motor is a DSS 306 with GT40 heads trick flow intake 75 mm TB and egr and this cam in my 87 speed denisty stang http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

When i went to go pick it up i noticed the shop put a push in oil breather in the valve cover well guess what its dumping oil out of it cause the trick flow valve covers have no baffel so they clear my roller rockers. how do i fix this??

also they got rid of the water lines that go to the egr so now the intake is really heating up i told him this happend to me before with it and thats not a good idea he said you dont want the heat there? wrong.. the water lines are there to cool the egr not heat it up right ?

last Q do i need bigger fuel injectors for this set up there 19lbs and he said hes got to run the timing at 10 deg to keep it from knocking?
Old 09-22-2007, 04:49 AM
rocketrotary
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: new 306 Dss

I would recommend bigger injectors, but not too big. Just my opinion, but I would go with 24# injs.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:23 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: strangebrew

My new motor is a DSS 306 with GT40 heads trick flow intake 75 mm TB and egr and this cam in my 87 speed denisty stang http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

When i went to go pick it up i noticed the shop put a push in oil breather in the valve cover well guess what its dumping oil out of it cause the trick flow valve covers have no baffel so they clear my roller rockers. how do i fix this??

also they got rid of the water lines that go to the egr so now the intake is really heating up i told him this happend to me before with it and thats not a good idea he said you dont want the heat there? wrong.. the water lines are there to cool the egr not heat it up right ?

last Q do i need bigger fuel injectors for this set up there 19lbs and he said hes got to run the timing at 10 deg to keep it from knocking?
[sm=badidea.gif]
Old 09-22-2007, 08:32 AM
93lxtacy
1st Gear Member

don't worry about it. DSS blocks blow up any how.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:38 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

i would get on the dyno and find out for sure. you have quite a missmatch of parts going on. DSS makes pretty sh*tty motors. then after spending all that money on a dss motor you buy gt40 heads.....wtf? you get a decent intake but have a tb thats too big for your setup. 70mm would have been better. if you had better heads i would say 24's but with those heads i think 19s will do
Old 09-22-2007, 12:43 PM
strangebrew
1st Gear Member

Anyone else have somthing to put in on this?
It was gt40 heads or my old stock ones the cam i got was because in the tech part of this fourm it said it wuld work and dss the mech said this is the only motor he back up for 1 year and i have it in writting for parts and labor if it does blow up i have not got in it yet but from nothing to half throttle its as fast as my stocker 302 was,
Old 09-22-2007, 01:38 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

get a set of Mr gasket breather grommets.... they have built in baffles

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
Old 09-22-2007, 02:49 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

well if the shop had of read the instructions that come with the trick flow valve covers they'd of realized that you have to grind/use a key hole saw to make an opening and if you bought the covers new they come with the grommets and the filler tube...if they didn't modify the covers like it says in the instruction sheet how are you putting oil in the car... as for the coolant passages that go through the throttle body most people bypass that with minimal change happening......and I installed a complete Trick flow kit and rebuilt a short block for a guy not to long ago and money by the end of the project was running slim so we reused the 19 lbs injectors....it ran and didn't ping at all but then again he had aluminum heads...is your timing set okay and are you using high test gas???
Old 09-23-2007, 02:59 AM
strangebrew
1st Gear Member

So your saying if i have aluminam heads i wont have pinging? and test gas no they said just run reg. and after its broke in and i go to race it run higher octane.Well i was told it was was set at 10 deg. because it might knock?? but the guy who built it told me it will be set to 13 after 500 miles when i bring it back for them to look over everything and change the oil.Why did they set the timing at 10 untill i bring it back is so i cant go flooring it around town? no way am i racing it till its broke in and maybe even even some more miles after that. Fudge im lost i know its at least 1000 miles to break in a motor but they told me when i bring it back after 500 im good to lay rubber down out in front of there shop.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:01 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

sounds to me like you need to learn a bit more about engines, and the way they work.... because you just got BONED buying a DSS motor

Quick Reply: Lets put DSS blocks to the test