5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

intake gasket, look at this pic!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 10:25 AM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

Default intake gasket, look at this pic!!

ok im doing my headgasket and i found this, the gasket in the back of the intake was never on right. its stiff in the position its in so i know its not from me removing the lower intake. theres crud everywhere on the back of the motor and bellhousing too. anyone know what this being like this might cause, this couldnt be responsible for headgasket symptoms? also look how cruddy my back 4 intake ports are.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:07 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: intake gasket, look at this pic!!

uhhhhhhhhh that's some nasty looking coolant in there looks like a water milk mix.....that gasket there that was misinstalled will cause a nasty oil leak and when you put it back together I always ditch the end gaskets and run a thick bead of the RIGHT STUFF .by permatex FTW!!!
Old 09-24-2007, 11:11 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

yeah really dude, those end gaskets NEVER get used
Old 09-24-2007, 11:14 AM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

that looks pretty f-d up man, i would get a razor blade and scrape/cut all that **** off, then get some mineral spirits (be careful because it is dangerous/lights on fire) and use a rag to clean all that **** up. Then get some new gaskets put RTV on both side of the gasket and never look back. GO WITH FELPRO they make some of the best gaskets and i love them.....as far as all the other stuff goes, you may want to drain your oil beffore you start it up and do a full oil change/ tryand get as much of that milky stuff out so you dont sieze the engine up when you start it
Old 09-24-2007, 11:15 AM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

yeah really dude, those end gaskets NEVER get used
i use them, so sometimes they do get used its all personal preforance
Old 09-24-2007, 11:16 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

what it looks like is they used the wigglycork gasket and put the wrong on back there or put it on upside down or something. btw it looks nasty up there, clean that shyte up
Old 09-24-2007, 11:39 AM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

the milky crap is coolant that has stop leak in it, maybe oil too, but no coolant in my oil as far as i can tell. its getting changed anyways. yep got all felpro stuff the lower gasket comes with rubber end peices, i just gotta get some rtv.
yeah this things a mess for sure, look like the front end peice leeked all over hell too
theres like 1/4" thick crap on the top of my bellhousing!!
about to pull the heads here in a few minutes.
what belt do i need to delete my a/c pump?

Old 09-24-2007, 11:50 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

man that looks terrible. I used the rubber ends (blue silicone IIRC) as well as RTV where it was needed and it sealed up tight for me... of course I bolted my intake on when the motor was outta the car so I could get at all the bolts easily..

man, who owned your car before you? I remember seeing the pics when you first got it when it had the circle headlights and the "foam bondo" on the quarter...

take care when scraping that stuff off, you dont wanna knick the mating surfaces....
Old 09-24-2007, 12:42 PM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

these are the factory gaskets, at least on the head side of the intake. still say ford E6 something stamped in. all nice and crisppy too
no clue who owned it before the guy who had it for a month parked under a cover...just know it came from a guy who owned a shop and one of his shop helpers did all that crap to it and never bought it from the owner so he sold it to the guy who sold it to me cus he didnt want to do the body work.
so its at 227k now. obvisouly looks to never have been touch except the upper intake looks to have been removed at one time, plus its missing the 5.0 cover plate. heres a few more pics for amusment

Old 09-24-2007, 02:23 PM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

man should of put some roller rockers on it while you had it apart

Quick Reply: intake gasket, look at this pic!!