5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

final porting questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 01:32 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default final porting questions

ok so im porting my intake tomorrow to match my spacer and gaskets.....my questions is.....

when port matching to the lower intake gaskets they are a thicker material so i assume they compress a little bit and expand. do i need to port exactly to the size of the intake gasket or within a certain amount of the intake gasket. same question for the head gasket as well, i will be porting my stock head slightly while i replace my valve springs (financial problem, have to wait on my heads)

everything ive read on porting doesnt talk about tolerance or anything with gasket they just explain tips and procedures of porting. any write ups or info you can give me would be great

thanks ahead of time!
Old 09-24-2007, 03:30 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Default RE: final porting questions

they dont expand, port em to match, if you dont, the port job is useless
Old 09-24-2007, 03:41 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: aode06

they dont expand, port em to match, if you dont, the port job is useless
sweet, thanks a bunch, i didnt want to port to large and then have to adjust the gaskets. sweet, i'll be hittin up the die grinder later and i hope she comes out nice.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:10 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

word of advice, do each step of grinding to each port before moving onto the next step. you'll find the consistancy from port to port will be MUCH better this way.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:13 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

so you mean, die grind port 1, sand port 1, emery cloth port 1, then die grind #2, sand, emery, #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8.

like that?
Old 09-24-2007, 04:34 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

no, here is an extremely crude example that took me entirely too long to make in MS paint.

once you get down to a fine cartridge or emery cloth to finish things up you shouldnt really have to take this care - but when hogging all the meat out you need to do each thing on all 8 ports. work on a particular corner or side of port 1, then port 2, then port 3, etc. then move onto the next corner or side of port 1, port 2, port 3, etc
Old 09-24-2007, 06:16 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ohhhhh i understand now, thanks for the tip. i havent heard that in any of the write ups ive seen
Old 09-24-2007, 06:30 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

you'll find its much easier to remember exactly what you did when you repeat it over and over like that.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:44 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Be carful to not take too much out unless you can weld. The lower intake has a lot of room to make it better, just don't go to carzy. I recommend when you scribe you line for your gasket, leave the line and about another .010 so you don't have to worry about gasket getting into you port.

When I ported mine, I didn't focus on making things bigger, just consistant and tryed to make everything straighter. Just remeber, the air is sucked into the engine, not forced into it....the more bends, the more it is slowed down.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:42 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

im gasket matching so ther shouldnt be an problem with getting the correct size. imma go buy a measuring tool that way i know im keeping the same diamter throughout the port. i'd hate to bottle neck it or have big open area's and create turbulance

Quick Reply: final porting questions