5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

slop...Roundman, JD, OB..anyone help???

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 11:29 PM
90Mustangfan
I ♥ Acer

Default slop...Roundman, JD, OB..anyone help???

Ok heres the question. when Im driving my car in 1st going 10mph, when push my clutch in and out I feel a cluck kninda feeling like my Drive shaft was loose, I have my friend check it out and he said it probally wasnt the D/S, he said its called "slop" where theres a little slack in the D/S U- joints. So when I was board I thought id check this problem out. I jacked up the rear, so both tires are off the ground, I have the e-brake off, so I can spin the tires freely, well when I start to move the tires, I notice that the tires will move about 1/4 inch before the drive shaft starts to move. So basicly my tires will turn 1/4" or so before my D/S will start to move. there is a little free play. Is there supose to be free play like that? Is it called "slop". I can feel this when I shift real quick and when I let off the gas and get back on, its like there is a small jerk when i get back on the gas. Does anyone have similar prob? how can I fix it?
Old 02-18-2005, 11:31 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: slop...Roundman, JD, OB..anyone help???

u- joints or a wore out rear
Old 02-18-2005, 11:37 PM
90Mustangfan
I ♥ Acer

I just had 4.10's installed, so its not the rear end? hey so it could be the drive shaft U-joints. Will a Aluminum D/s fix that?
Old 02-18-2005, 11:39 PM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

if you had em instaled and its done it ever since them, maybe backlash is off
Old 02-18-2005, 11:58 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

There's going to be a noticeable amount of distence that the tires will rotate before the ring gear moves the pinion gear. This is called backlash. Blacklash of the ring gear should be only about .008-.011". The larger diameter of the tire will amplify the backlash of the rear end and you will see what you're getting. Now if you can actually hear a clunk really bad when starting out or decellerating, and you're "slop" is something fierce, then I'd check your rear end, after you checked your u-joints of course.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:03 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

you might have to do a lil shiming in the rear to get it to be less.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:01 PM
90Mustangfan
I ♥ Acer

It didnt start doing for about a 4weeks after i had them installed, it started doing it after I went to the track about 2 weeks ago. Is this problem because the gears were installed correctly. Or is it my U-joints are worn out from the drag strip? Will this be an expensive problem to fix? Does anyone else have this same problem? is this something that I cant just tighten the D/s bolt and tighten up the U-joints bolts or something?
Old 02-19-2005, 02:17 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Try jacking up the rear again and have someone start the car and spin the tires a little
See if it makes the noise there. If it does listen to where it's comming from.
It may not make the noise because there's no load on the tires, but atleast you can give it a shot.
But yeah, just replace the U-Joints anyways.
Quick easy and inexpensive and they probably havn't been changed the life of the car.
Old 02-19-2005, 04:08 PM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

u joints are nothing, ive replaced 7 on my jeep and onyl had it 10 months.
Old 02-19-2005, 04:51 PM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

If it happened all of a sudden after a run at the track, you might also want to check you engine and trans mounts.