5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

turbo honda vs 347 stroker comparison??

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 05:41 AM
bc_stang
1st Gear Member

Default turbo honda vs 347 stroker comparison??

hi guys.i know u guys prolly get these posts a lot but i just want everyones opinion on what u guys think.the guy who works with me is a HUGE honda fan and hes buildinga turbo 1.8 l 91 honda civic which he claims should put about 275horses to the frt wheels when set to 8psi boost.iam pretty sure thats possible with good tuning .
but heres the thing though,he knows iam building a 347 stroker engine and time to time he would pass these comments like"just a waste of 200cubes" or "hes gonna be sad when my budget junkyard honda kills his stroker" so i finally decided to talk to him today at lunch break infront of everyone.he says that he has seen 275wheel hp honda beat up pontiac gto's and even a 347 stroker.i find it pretty hard to believe.i mentioned to him that a good built 347 stroker should make about 390-400hp at the crank and besides civic is frt wheel car so its gonna be lil harder to put 275 hp to use.
so finally we came to an agreement......next summer if both cars r done(his 91 civic and mine 347 stroker) we gonna race them from a stop and video tape it.that video would be given out to all the ppl who work with us to remind who won!!! i mean we dont hate each other,its gonna be just a friendly race...what do u guys think? iam building 347 stroker and according to the combo iam using it should have about 390-400hp at the crank.he says the best hes seen on a turbo charged civic is about 275-280hp at the wheels,but remember his car is a hatch back which weighs a lot less then a stang .what do u guys think,does he have a chance to fry my pony?
here my list of 347 stroker parts
probe 347 stroker kit
consists of probe forged pistons
forged steel crank
forged con rods
balanced rotating assembly
36lb injectors,ford racing high flow fuel pump
rpm 2 intake,plus mods in my sig.
PARTS IAM GONNA GET BY SUMMER TO COMPLETE MY 347:
afr 185's 58cc heads.
f cam or equivalent crane cams
electric water pump and fan
with my combo iam looking around 9.7:1 compression...........or was it 9.5:1.....dont really remember.
diffrent MAF.havent decided yet.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:43 AM
bc_stang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: turbo honda vs 347 stroker comparison??

wow sorry guys now i looked at it,its one long post.i apologise in advance so dont keep on mentioning again and again.j/k
Old 02-20-2005, 05:47 AM
Ezrider
2nd Gear Member

i dont like hondas, but iv had them surpise me, however iv never seen one run anything faster than low 13's you should be in the 12's with your mod list. the fwd will realy hurt your freind, i think you beat him
Old 02-20-2005, 07:26 AM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

with only 8psi, and you having a 347 backed up by 3.73's you would decimate him. Strap a small amount of nitrous on for some protection heh.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:29 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: bc_stang

hi guys.i know u guys prolly get these posts a lot but i just want everyones opinion on what u guys think.the guy who works with me is a HUGE honda fan and hes buildinga turbo 1.8 l 91 honda civic which he claims should put about 275horses to the frt wheels when set to 8psi boost.iam pretty sure thats possible with good tuning .
but heres the thing though,he knows iam building a 347 stroker engine and time to time he would pass these comments like"just a waste of 200cubes" or "hes gonna be sad when my budget junkyard honda kills his stroker" so i finally decided to talk to him today at lunch break infront of everyone.he says that he has seen 275wheel hp honda beat up pontiac gto's and even a 347 stroker.i find it pretty hard to believe.i mentioned to him that a good built 347 stroker should make about 390-400hp at the crank and besides civic is frt wheel car so its gonna be lil harder to put 275 hp to use.
so finally we came to an agreement......next summer if both cars r done(his 91 civic and mine 347 stroker) we gonna race them from a stop and video tape it.that video would be given out to all the ppl who work with us to remind who won!!! i mean we dont hate each other,its gonna be just a friendly race...what do u guys think? iam building 347 stroker and according to the combo iam using it should have about 390-400hp at the crank.he says the best hes seen on a turbo charged civic is about 275-280hp at the wheels,but remember his car is a hatch back which weighs a lot less then a stang .what do u guys think,does he have a chance to fry my pony?
here my list of 347 stroker parts
probe 347 stroker kit
consists of probe forged pistons
forged steel crank
forged con rods
balanced rotating assembly
36lb injectors,ford racing high flow fuel pump
rpm 2 intake,plus mods in my sig.
PARTS IAM GONNA GET BY SUMMER TO COMPLETE MY 347:
afr 185's 58cc heads.
f cam or equivalent crane cams
electric water pump and fan
with my combo iam looking around 9.7:1 compression...........or was it 9.5:1.....dont really remember.
diffrent MAF.havent decided yet.

youll rape it from a dig, his boost will kick in too late, he will be smelling your exhaust by the time he gets rolling.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:14 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

He had better do a VERY good job with his turbo setup to pull off 275BHP @ 8psi. I'm sure you'll eat him. (nonsexually)
Old 02-20-2005, 11:28 AM
Stinger
4th Gear Member

LOL no offense bro his 275 just wouldnt cut it. You are being kinda modest with your HP gains in my opionion unless you building a cheap 347. You can achieve those numbers with a 302. Im building a 347 as well and in my plan i hope to see close to 450. Ihave never seen a fast honda so i cant really say if its gonna be fast or not,cause every import i have seen has been kinda slow. I have seen a Evo run 13.8 before but thats the best i have seen. I wouldnt sweat it.. he has no chance if you build ur car correct. But please practice driving your car with that much power cause it aint gonna be like driving a import with no Tq. Good luck and i hope to see the video.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:21 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

these what if's are such bull sh it....just race and find out..what the hell is the fun if you know your going to win
Old 02-20-2005, 03:55 PM
bc_stang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stinger

LOL no offense bro his 275 just wouldnt cut it. You are being kinda modest with your HP gains in my opionion unless you building a cheap 347. You can achieve those numbers with a 302. Im building a 347 as well and in my plan i hope to see close to 450. Ihave never seen a fast honda so i cant really say if its gonna be fast or not,cause every import i have seen has been kinda slow. I have seen a Evo run 13.8 before but thats the best i have seen. I wouldnt sweat it.. he has no chance if you build ur car correct. But please practice driving your car with that much power cause it aint gonna be like driving a import with no Tq. Good luck and i hope to see the video.
my 390hp assumptions were the numbers i hope to see if i decide to go for lower compression..around 8.5:1.right now i would have about 9.5:1 but i keep on thinking about future blower investment so i might go lower.even though my bottom end is all assembled and ready to go,my machinist says he would buy those pistons back from me if i decide to go for lower comp pistons.the machine shop i deal with is very well known ...they been in business for 30plus years..the machinist says with my 9.5:1 comp i should see about 425-435 hp.
anywho i never doubted 347 performance when it comes to 275-300hp civic. i dont buyhis story about 275 horse civics beating up 400 horse strokers.oh well i do promise a street video later on in summer.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Stick with 9.5 compression pistons. If you plan on running a centrifical you could even go as high as 10:1 if you plan on running turbo or root or twin srew supercharger lower it. But anyways. You should be looking to get 347hp to the wheels if you consider 17% drivetrain loss if your making 430hp at the crank. But if this guy is putting this motor in a CRX those things weigh 200lbs. with driver which is about 7.1lbs. per horse power, if hes making 280hp. Your horse power to weight ratio is....10.6lbs. to every hp. Consider your car is 3700lbs. with driver. So if thats the case hes going to beat you. Why do you think CRX's can reach 9's. Just find out what car hes running and how much it weights and do the math before you commit to anything.

Quick Reply: turbo honda vs 347 stroker comparison??