5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How Much Does It Cost To Have Engine Rebuilt?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 10:44 AM
LOVEMY88GT
I ♥ Acer

Default How Much Does It Cost To Have Engine Rebuilt?

Well my 5.0 has finally stop runing about 4 months ago. Engine will turn one way stop then i can manually turn it the other way. I am pretty sure that i spun a bearing. So i am thinking of just starting out freash and rebuilding the engine. So i was just wondering some prices or estimates that any of you guys might know. I don't have a whole lot of money to spend on it no more then about a grand. Lookin for a good price and if so maybe even havin it have some more hp.

THANKS!!!!
Old 02-20-2005, 10:51 AM
bluepony1
1st Gear Member

Default RE: How Much Does It Cost To Have Engine Rebuilt?

if you have the time do it yourself and the tools they same way i am
Old 02-20-2005, 03:16 PM
diablo9861
2nd Gear Member

im in the same boat sorta. just wanting to start modding my car, but afraid of not knowing exact miles on my engine from the guy that bought it before me. im looking to stick around 1000 bucks into rebuild, and i have the time to do it myself as well. id be more than glad to take info from others that ahve done it already.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:22 PM
88PatrolCar
2nd Gear Member

I just recently rebuilt mine myself a month ago. My rebuild kit from summit was $460 it came with forged pistons all new bearings, rings, oil pump, full gasket set, freeze plugs. It Does not come with a timing set so that is another $50. I also bought a new cam(E303) $160. Bored it .030 over and turned the crank .010 under put new cam berings in and boiled the block all for $250. Then I built the engine myself in one day. It is easy to build an engine if you have the tools.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:28 PM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LOVEMY88GT

Well my 5.0 has finally stop runing about 4 months ago. Engine will turn one way stop then i can manually turn it the other way. I am pretty sure that i spun a bearing. So i am thinking of just starting out freash and rebuilding the engine. So i was just wondering some prices or estimates that any of you guys might know. I don't have a whole lot of money to spend on it no more then about a grand. Lookin for a good price and if so maybe even havin it have some more hp.

THANKS!!!!
That does not sound like a bearing. What was the speed of the engine when it quit? Was it making noise when it quit? Did it stop suddenly? Did it slide the rear tires when it quit?
Old 02-20-2005, 07:52 PM
bobby
5th Gear Member

i would reccomend taking it somewhere if u have never tried it before..................
Old 02-20-2005, 10:41 PM
C/Note
I ♥ Acer

4500 to 6500 bucks....[&:]
Old 02-21-2005, 01:50 AM
LOVEMY88GT
I ♥ Acer

well in the past year i have gone through 1 or 2 oil pumps. By the second one (all oil pumps died at my house "gauge showing no pressure") weird as hell. Then after i did the second one shortly after the 1st oil pump i started it up after i primed the oil pump. It ran for alittle bit and then vrmm.......... stops dead. And im goin oh [sm=wtf.gif]. i try to start it again and won't turn over. So i take off the belt and turn the engine manually and it goes for alittle bit clockwise then stops then will go counter clock wise and stop. So i checked for sparks anything like if a rod had broken or somethin but after takin about the engine it was prob a bearing because the rods were fine. So before spring comes i am prob going to have a machine shop have it all done. 88PatrolCar was that the cheapest kit that you bought? If so then i will either do that or have a machine shop do it. What ever is cheapest but i have all the tools here to do the job. Prob rebuild the tranny while im at it to.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:44 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hotrodmanII

4500 to 6500 bucks....[&:]
yea for YOUR motors, LOL!
Old 02-21-2005, 10:15 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

I would say $280 - $350 if you get the parts through Summit & do it yourself.

Quick Reply: How Much Does It Cost To Have Engine Rebuilt?