5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Linked hydro lifters vs. dog bone

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 04:37 PM
stanguy306
2nd Gear Member

Default Linked hydro lifters vs. dog bone

Hey guys quick question regarding linked hydro lifters vs. dog bone...is it true that you can only run linked hydro lifters on NON-ROLLER blocks? Reason I ask is because I ran a linked hydrolifter setup in my 306 roller and the valves would never adjust correctly and made this awful sound when it ran like mega valve chatter.....my buddy told me that oil galleys are diff on non roller blocks therefore my lifters werent getting oiled or pumped up because I was using the linked system.....hence the god awful chattering sound.......your thoughts? Thanks again
Old 10-02-2007, 04:48 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Linked hydro lifters vs. dog bone

i dont think thats tru... i can ask a teacher tomorrow and let you know for sure

but we just took apart a 350 with hydrolic rollers, and they were dog boned together
Old 10-02-2007, 05:48 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stanguy306

Hey guys quick question regarding linked hydro lifters vs. dog bone...is it true that you can only run linked hydro lifters on NON-ROLLER blocks? Reason I ask is because I ran a linked hydrolifter setup in my 306 roller and the valves would never adjust correctly and made this awful sound when it ran like mega valve chatter.....my buddy told me that oil galleys are diff on non roller blocks therefore my lifters werent getting oiled or pumped up because I was using the linked system.....hence the god awful chattering sound.......your thoughts? Thanks again
You could use a retrofit kit for the dog bones and spider on a non-roller block, but that will limit the HR roller cam selection to reduced or small base circle HR cams. The linked lifters in a non-roller will allow the use of any "regular" HR base circle cam to be used w/out any problems....but you need to determine the pushrod length required. The difference between non-roller and roller blocks is the height of the lifter bosses.

Linked lifters can also be used in a roller block, provided you go through the required procedures of setting the valve train geometry and determining the correct pushrod length required (which could be what was causing the noise in your case).....did you measure for the correct PR length in your setup with adjustable pushrods?..... if not, that would most probably explain it.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:37 AM
stanguy306
2nd Gear Member

Hey guys, here's what started this issue....a local engine builder stated that linked lifters cant be used in roller blocks do to different oil gally's...I dont know much about specifics but here goes...I'm runninga 1.6 rocker (comp cams platium)...flat top JE flat top piston zero deckedblock. Valves set at 3/4 turn.....mild comp cam(smog legal)....so I'm kinda lost with the PTV clearance nothing I'm running is that crazy....

Do you think valves being to tight (3/4 turn) might cause this? Comp told me to do a 1/8 turn on this specific set up???