5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

pressure plate prob..!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 12:19 AM
bzlover
2nd Gear Member

Default pressure plate prob..!

i just found out what the prob is when i turn on my car any grinding noise from the tranny.., i just took it apart and found out that the pressure plate is grinding a little bit on the bottom half of the bellhousing.., does the press plate have its own way of going on..?
Old 10-03-2007, 12:49 AM
ravenforbidden
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: pressure plate prob..!

That's an intresting dilemma. I'm posting on this to keep it up, see if it helps, try the tech forums as well.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:10 AM
strangebrew
1st Gear Member

You might have not tighted it down all the way over the flywheel studs and its a little off, when i did my clutch the pressure plate holes where so tight fitting over the studs it would not sit flush with the flywheel till i debured them some with a small round file. or you just did not tighten the bell housing bolts down all the way just double cheack every thing and make sure you did every thing right.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:34 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if everyhting is installed correctly ...try a different clutch...I've seen it where the design of a few but it's rare where the design of the pessure plate just nicks the bellhousing
Old 10-03-2007, 08:00 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

What year is the car.. some older stangs had a 10" clutch setup,

if your trying to use a 10.5" clutch in an older car, or a newer one with the old style bellhousing. you need to buy a newer bellhousing
Old 10-03-2007, 05:51 PM
bzlover
2nd Gear Member

so i fixed it but i didnt want to.., i had to file down around the pressure plate and i would put the bellhousing on with 2 bolts one on each side just to hold it and turned the crank bolt and the grinding was gone.! i think i got the rong pressure plate or atleest its a wannaby king cobra.., i got got.!! dont ever buy from these A holes! aside from all bad car sounds good and runs even better..! thanks for all your help guys..! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-01...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-03-2007, 10:26 PM
crazypony
1st Gear Member

is your bellhousing properly botled to the block tight? thats what caused mine to do this. check to see if there is spacing between your block and bellhousing if there is the slightest bit then that could be your problem or like they said your pressure plate isnt bolted right or isnt on the pins off the flywheel
Old 10-03-2007, 10:35 PM
crazypony
1st Gear Member

wow! sorry for the double post hey bzlover.. i bought the same clutch king cobra from that same company off ebay just like you did mine did the same thing but my bellhousing wasnt tightened properyl it sat kind of side ways enough for it to rub.. but its fine now.. but now im having issuses with it egaging and disengaging i have a zoom adjustable clutch cable and adjusted all the way in it still doesnt work.. if i was you im about 4 months of problems ahead of you with that clutch find another one or ull be having issuses like me.. just to show you dont buy knock offs lol.. now im goin toput in another fork and t/o bearing for my car and ill will keep you posted on the out comes.. this clutch dont like to be ripped or raced around on. pedal effort seemed a lil stiffer from my friends stangs of the same year.. like i said ill keep you posted on what happens.. if this dont work ill put in a stock clutch i bougth in see what happens.. i noticed the stock clutch fins are half the size of the one we bought off ebay
Old 10-04-2007, 01:56 AM
bzlover
2nd Gear Member

wow.., small world.., yeah keep me posted for whats ahead..! thanks for the info