5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

oil pressure fluctuating???

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 12:36 AM
telsonman
3rd Gear Member

Default oil pressure fluctuating???

my oil guage is acting weird. its the stock one on the dash.for about the last couple months, its been bouncing between the M-A-L on normal. Usually when sitting idle its down to the first dash above zero, right under the L. then when i get moving, it moves up, but it never fully gets up to the M. My levels arefine, and it does it even right after i change the oil. I just don't know why my oil pressure is staying low most of the time. I watch it like crazy and listen for valve clatter, and its not existent. anyone have any ideas???
Old 10-03-2007, 12:48 AM
ravenforbidden
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: oil pressure fluctuating???

The underdrive pullies play with your levels a tincy bit, I overfilled mine like a tinsy bit and it does alright, but you have to keep eyes on it from time to time, I'm recommending you swap to BBK, my MAC stuff is not fairing well and I'm unsatisfied with it as it stands, BBK people have been telling me it's awesome.

How's the intake can you tell me about that? I'm intrested in a new setup and PRO sounds like it's got it's ****.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:16 AM
telsonman
3rd Gear Member

i've been thinking about switching back to the stock pullies. ever since i've put these mac ones on, if i'm sitting at idle for too long, my car will get pretty hot. i remember parking at a eckerds to get a mothers day card, and i left my fiancee in the car with the a/c on, and when i got back in, it was blowing hot air and my temp was way up. i don't think the trouble is worth the little hp you gain.

the p/p stuff is good in my opinion. i got a pp TB and spacer, and it works fine. it doesn't whistle like others that i've heard. everything looked good when i got it, and i just slapped it on. i compared it to the edelbrock, and i couldn't really tell a difference.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:25 AM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

How do underdrive pulleys lower oil pressure? How many miles are on your motor, what weight oil do you use? And how could one pulley be taht much different from another? is the finish coming off? is it warped? or does it just not spin as good?[8D]
Old 10-03-2007, 03:01 AM
strangebrew
1st Gear Member

lol under drive pulleys do nothing to oil psi lol!
What you are telling me sounds like what was going on to me right before the crank snapped in half could be bad oil pump or the bearings are shot.I would take it easy on it till you can have a shop place a good gauge on it and see if it is the motor or not. or it could be just your blinker fluied is low lol Jk
Old 10-03-2007, 07:05 AM
telsonman
3rd Gear Member

i have 105k on the motor. it has been doing this since about 90k. i use 10w-30. nothing should be wrong with the pullies. i've only had them for a couple months. i think my oil pump might be going out personally, but i'm not sure...
Old 10-03-2007, 08:02 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: ravenforbidden

The underdrive pullies play with your levels a tincy bit, I overfilled mine like a tinsy bit and it does alright.
You sir.... are a retard!
Old 10-03-2007, 08:27 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

ORIGINAL: ravenforbidden

The underdrive pullies play with your levels a tincy bit, I overfilled mine like a tinsy bit and it does alright.
You sir.... are a retard!
adder- 1
ravenforbidden- 0

the stock gauge doesnt work. it sucks. get an aftermarket mechanical gauge and call it done.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:34 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Not for nothing Kyle... but that dope thinks he knows everything in EVERY thread he posts...

check his post history and read a few of his most recent ones....
Old 10-03-2007, 08:47 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

underdrive pullies can cause this on a fox body,

what happens to my car, is that the pullies dramatically slows revolutions of the ACCESSORIES OF THE MOTOR and the alternator, electrical system, waterpump, cooling fan may not function properly if left like this for a while.

The available voltage are shared upon the fuel pump, radio a/c etc .

AC may blow hot, car may get hot, and the oil pressure guage will not function properly etc, and Ive measured 11.10 volts, this is with a 3g alternator , oversized pulley and Optima.

As soon as you tap on the gas, everything is back to normal. So, id advise to turn the idle up a lil or swap the pullies back to stock.

You take off a valve cover and will discover oil pressure is just fine, things dont like to function right at lower voltages and revolutions on a fox body sometimes.

Quick Reply: oil pressure fluctuating???