5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

help with q's

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Fobra
Banned

Default help with q's

Hey guys, I basically no nothing about 5.0 motors and other ford pushrods... is a 5.0 even a pushrod? or a mod motor? Im very familiar with mod motors and pretty familar with old school pushrods. Im wanting to take a 99-04 v6 donor car and make a badass street/strip/track car, turbo is the method of eventual FI. Ive got the facilities and friends to build a pushrod, but we are all worried about a mod motor. So i was wanting you to educate me about the differences between 5.0 cobra motors and 4.6 cobra motors, and even 351's.. Im basically wondering about cfm and power potential, im thinking that usinga 5.0 motor is going to be alot cheaper, easier to build and all that good stuff, but id like to keep EFI, so isnt a 5.0 EFI? Also if you have an idea, how much would it cost me to make a run of the mill forged 302 - capable of holding 1000hp, my goal for the car is going to be around 600-700 rwhp, no spray. I want to use a c-6 trans, before i was trying to figure how to mount it with a 4.6 - it can be done, however on a 302 it should just bolt up correct? Also the v-6 donor is being striped to frame, cut, gutted, the whole 9 - so I figured it would be easier and cheaper to just dropin a 302, new ignition, and push button start on a fabbed gauge plates, so any way, advice and experience is welcome please let me know what you guys think? - also the turbo would be alot cheaper going 5.0
Old 10-06-2007, 11:14 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

Default RE: help with q's

You have a LOT of different questions in there.
5.0 is a push rod.
5.0 cobra has a different intake, gt40 heads, different cam, but is not to far from a normal 5.0.. most people still end up swaping those heads and a different cam into the 5.0's lx/gt's.. great starting point, but nothing extreme or crazy different.

the 4.6 is a mod motor.. and the DOHC cobra motor is much, much different than the 5.0 cobra motor. 4 cams, 2 per head, completely different tuning setup than a regular 4.6.. different computer, wiring harness, etc. and the motors are different in each year.. 96-98 got the teksid forged aluminum block, which is the best block ford has ever put in a factory car.. its known to take 1000+hp when you put forged internals in it.. comes with crappy rods/pistons but a forged crank.. but the block itself is awesome.. basically an F1 block.
The 99/01 cobras had the romeo block in them, pretty much the standard block from the 4.6 gt's.. dohc, different tuning, ecu, etc as well.
the 03/04 came with a forged iron block known to take high hp as well, just a much heavier block than the forged aluminum. forged rods/pistons, dohc, and the small eton blower that gets heat soaked very easy...

Ive owned many different mustangs.. last three are a 97 cobra, a supercharged 00 vert, and my current 90 project 5.0... I have some insite on these things, and the 5.0 is by far the easiest to work on and the most tolerant of things being incorrect.. ive had freak stuff happen to this motor that would have left either of the 4.6's crying for their momma's.. for a project car, a 5oh is the way to go imo..
Old 10-06-2007, 11:21 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: banned

Hey guys, I basically no nothing about 5.0 motors and other ford pushrods... is a 5.0 even a pushrod?yes or a mod motor?no Im very familiar with mod motors and pretty familar with old school pushrods. Im wanting to take a 99-04 v6 donor car and make a badass street/strip/track car, turbo is the method of eventual FI.good idea Ive got the facilities and friends to build a pushrod, but we are all worried about a mod motor.stop worrying a 5.0 is pushrod So i was wanting you to educate me about the differences between 5.0 cobra motors stock bottom end, diff. cam, gt40 heads, cobra intake, 24lb injectors and 4.6 cobra motors theyre all a little differant, all dohc motors, 03/04 are s/c, and even 351's basically the 302s big brother, still pushrod,can make more power tho.. Im basically wondering about cfm and power potential, im thinking that using a 5.0 motor is going to be alot cheaper, easier to build and all that good stuff correct but id like to keep EFI, so isnt a 5.0 EFI?from 86 and up, yes Also if you have an idea, how much would it cost me to make a run of the mill forged 302 - capable of holding 1000hp,alot, stock block will not hold, youll need aftermarket EVERYTHING my goal for the car is going to be around 600-700 rwhp, no spray. I want to use a c-6 trans, before i was trying to figure how to mount it with a 4.6 - it can be done, however on a 302 it should just bolt up correct? not sureAlso the v-6 donor is being striped to frame, cut, gutted, the whole 9 - so I figured it would be easier and cheaper to just dropin a 302, new ignition, and push button start on a fabbed gauge plates, so any way, advice and experience is welcome please let me know what you guys think? - also the turbo would be alot cheaper going 5.0 yup it would

my suggestion, wanting that much power... go Turbo 351 stroked... and obviously a built top end as well... c4 or c6 should work, but im not an automatic guy, so let someone else chime in on that... id get a good rear with a spool or locker, and depending on where your going to rev this thing to get some kind of gear...

your gonna want a full caged car, and one bad *** tire, suspension is going to be key in getting a car with this amount of power to actually make it down the 1/4...
Old 10-07-2007, 09:24 AM
tireboil25

you problem in the HO 302 is that you can easily make the bottom end hold much more power than the block will take. The HO blockes are notorious for busting off the crank journals way up in the meat of the block. I've always heard that an HO will hold about 550hp max due to the block being the weak link. I just Built a 306 w/ all forged internals and was told @ the machine shop that the block will crack in half before the internals will go. If your going higher in hp than 550 you need to consider a tougher block like the boss or other aftermarket blocks I believe Dart makes an Iron Eagle Block. This is probably just modivation to go with a mod since it already has a block capable of handling 1000hp.
after market blocks run around $2000 Add $1500 for a rotating assybly, $1200 for a good set of heads , intake, machine work and everything else and your already in way deep long before youget anywhere close to the turbo. There's just to many guys out there with almost stock mod motors w/ one big turbo making 800rwhp or more reliably. I love the 5.0 but facts are facts.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:44 AM
kilgorq
2nd Gear Member

I would go with the 351W bored, stroked (427), and twin turbocharged. The 351 will hold your power better. The bottom end is stronger than the 302. and remember there is no replacement for displacement.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:40 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

1000hp 5.0

that made me[sm=icon_rofl.gif]
Old 10-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Fobra
Banned

yea i think you guys are right, the mod motor is going to make more sense, i was kinda looking forward to building the motor though... unless we go crazy and do a 350 or a ls1 swap ... but thanks for the advice, it is greatly appreciated