5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HELP! with my chevy! I know what people on this forum I can trust!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 02:53 PM
750HPGT
2nd Gear Member

Default HELP! with my chevy! I know what people on this forum I can trust!

I know it s not our beloved 5.0 but I need Help if this needs to be moved ok but please tell me where you moved it to.

Last night, my Chey 1500 350 Vortech died doing about 50. I stopped it and started it back up. It ran fine. This morning, I drove about 1/2 miles to get gas, filled it up and started it up. It idled, then died. It started right back up, drove about five feet and died. I started it up, noticed it was idling low and had a slight stutter to it. When I tapped the throttle, it had a slight knock to it. I killed it, sat about 15 minutes, started it right up and it ran fine so I drove it home with a friend following me just in case.

The truck has had a slight tick to it for a couple months. About one month ago, it wouldn't start and I had a new fuel pump installed. The tick is there most of the time; now and then it is absent.

I don't think the valve train or bottom end would kill the truck and the tick would be constant if these were the problem. An injector would have all the symptoms, but due to the lean condition, the check engine light would come on - not just the computer shutting off the engine.

If someone can give me some ideas about what could be my problem, I would appreciate very much. Yes, I realize I should have stuck with Fords! Thank you.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:56 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

Default RE: HELP! with my chevy! I know what people on this forum I can trust!

ORIGINAL: 750HPGT

it wouldn't start and I had a new fuel pump installed.
Thats what I was going to suggest.. I'd check the fuel pressure just to verify...
Old 10-07-2007, 03:03 PM
98MustangGT46
5th Gear Member

What year is it. I know the 4.3 vortecs were notorious for the fuel injectors going bad. Maybe this could be your problem.. Im not sure how the 350s were with that..
Old 10-07-2007, 03:45 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Well just like any other car, what have you checked? When it doesn't start, is fuel and sprk present? Have to start w/ the basics. When was the pump put in and why? What brand was it also?
Old 10-07-2007, 04:15 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

If your check engine light has been coming on then first thing I'd do is check the globall obd II side of the computer and see if any codes are present and or pending codes...then if that yields no results use a scan tool that has the capability to go into the manufactorer specific side of the computer and check for codes. it is true that the spider type fuel injector set up in the vortec motors had problems with the poppet valves on the tips of the injectors getting clogged up due to carbon build up but more than one would have to be clogged and the problem wouldn't come and go it would be a constant problem not intermitent
Old 10-07-2007, 05:34 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

The starting, stuttering, etc issue sounds like a maf issue.. pull that out and clean it with electrical contact cleaner after you get the truck running again... might also check and make sure its plugged in.. if it came unplugged it will cause all sorts of hell.
if it didnt throw a code, check the basics.. replace your plugs and fuel filter, check the pressure, etc. Also it wouldnt hurt ot test your alternator.. I have personally had a car act crazy on me when one was going out.. sometimes it would charge the batter and it would run fine, and others it wouldnt.. would randomly die, would stutter, would do all sorts of funky things.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:49 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

This is one of those situations where I would pay the GM dealer that $75 to diagnose.

I worked there, and alot of variables are involved with your specific issue along with a few possible minor issues, leading to one symptom.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:12 PM
1995GT5.0T5
2nd Gear Member

aode is correct. id have gm diag that for ya. it would be worth the money
Old 10-07-2007, 10:35 PM
750HPGT
2nd Gear Member

Its a 1998. The check engine light DOES NOT come on I think if it was running lean it wold but i could be wrong. the fuel bump is less then 2 months old. I think the tick and the dieing dont go together, what can cause a tick and kill the engine? thanks for all the help!!
Old 10-07-2007, 10:40 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

spray a little bit of water near the coil... I betcha it arch's out and dies.

Quick Reply: HELP! with my chevy! I know what people on this forum I can trust!