5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

engine questions... simple

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 01:42 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default engine questions... simple

ok my motors is about ready to come out, i just have to do a few more minor things when i actually pull them...

few quesions

solid motor mounts... pros/cons....?
is there any way to run the belt w. out hitting the smog and or a/c? id check myself, but its apart

lastly, anything worth doing while its out? like simple little things? im gonna be getting a new oil pump and shaft, and will fully check the new bottom end and all the parts going together, ill check the timing chain, and basically everything else on the thing...
Old 10-13-2007, 05:11 PM
notchbackmatt87
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: engine questions... simple

sooth your engine bay paint it nice gloss color and loom all wire. ps dimebag nice looking car a nice fresh coat of paint in your bay will really set the car off
Old 10-13-2007, 06:17 PM
ddeaton66
3rd Gear Member

Other ways too but none that I know of theat you just remove them......belt rubs itself...
Old 10-13-2007, 10:04 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

ok thanks...

so what about the other questions?
Old 10-13-2007, 10:18 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

dime, what you doing to it?
i been pretty much through it all, if ya want pm and ill tell ya what i know.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:20 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

what am i doing? i blew it the **** up, and now im replacing it, lol... its going in all stock again... which blows, but i just got fired, so money is well.. tight, lol..

why pm? just tell me here...
Old 10-13-2007, 10:28 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you got fired???? what the F???? I thought the way you talked about your Boss that all was good ...what happened!!!???[:@]
Old 10-13-2007, 10:33 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

A s for solid motor mounts..I'm not a fan of them but if you do them don't do the tranny one in solid or you'll bust the bellhousing...I reccommend Poly mounts = stronger than rummer and less flex yet still bearable for the street!!! As for little things to do while it's out...hmmmmm hard without spending money.....don't know on that one.......as for the belt issue...that'll be hard to remedy without removing the two components.... besides they're not hard to reinstall when needed again!!!
Old 10-13-2007, 10:40 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

yea i thought so too, it was very out of nowhere...

apperantly this guy came back and told my boss that he was loosing oil from his drain plug and that it was only hand tight... they looked it up, i did the work, i got pulled in the office and "let go" on the spot, no asking me, no telling me not to do it again, nothing... just a "yea, we have to let you go". damn... for it being the 1st and only thing ive ever ****ed up there.

btw... the guy drove this truck to ocean city and back before he noticed... 4 hours total... so uh yea... it he drove 4 hours, and then noticed a small spot, it couldnta been that bad.

but whatcha gonna do, i guess im lookin for a job on monday.

i really know myself better then that and know i didnt leave it loose... i mean its simple... i throw the wrench and drain bolt right on the lift arm... and grab both at the same time, when im done putting it in i throw the wrench on the tool box... so even if i forgot, id see a wrench on the lift and be like... o yea...

thats seriously the only thing ive ever messed up there... i mean yea little ****, like broken wheel studs once or twice, or broken bolts, but thats expected

thing that sucks too is, he hired me knowing i had no shop experiance, and that i was in school... and basically that i was new and learning... so youd think a mistake like this, that didnt prove to be problematic at all he'd be a little more chill about... but... whatcha gonna do

im goin monday and lookin for a job i guess
Old 10-13-2007, 10:43 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

yea ill remove them, not a big deal.. id just need new brackets tho i guess.. or a delete or somethin

and if i went solid, id go solid motor mounts and a rubber trans? good thing u said that, or id be left with a broken bell housing, lol

depends what they cost, no job and all... yea..

o yea... and i guess ima be in debt here soon too... gotta buy tools now... at the old job i was using all of my bosses ****, because it was such a small shop and all.. so i planned on buying tools when school was over... well... so much for that

Quick Reply: engine questions... simple