5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Vibration--HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 11:05 AM
lmatt

Default Vibration--HELP!!!!

I have posted this before and thought maybe found the problem. Nope. I have a 90 fox 5.0 5spd car. 3.73 rear gears. It has a vibration at about 78-80 mph. Have put a vibration sensor from a Ford dealer where I work on it, and found that the most g's were coming from the axle housing. So, we re-built the rear end this past weekend. Different ring and pinion, new side gears, pinion bearings. The side gear splines were loose on the axles shaft splines. The new ones took about 50% of the play out. I know it will need new axles befor long. Could it have a bent axle at the splined end? Have check the axles on the flange with a dial indicator, no problem. Any ideas where or what this vibration could be?
We have swapped the wheels, driveshaft, ran it without the brake drums on. Still the same results. Please help with ANY info. Thanks alot guys.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:37 AM
MadMan@TheWheel
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Vibration--HELP!!!!

It could be a bent output shaft on the tranny.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:46 AM
lmatt

Went thru the tranny last winter. HAd the output shaft checked on a lathe. No problem. Thanks for the suggestion. Keep em coming.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:46 AM
MadMan@TheWheel
4th Gear Member

But you are having problems right now correct...Not last winter
Old 10-15-2007, 12:16 PM
lmatt

Same problem last winter that we have now. Has not changed with anything we have done.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:22 PM
Pony 5.0
2nd Gear Member

Might check your u-joints. I had a similar vibration problem at the same speeds and it turned out to be them.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:42 PM
lmatt

Pony 5.0, did your shifter vibrate REALLY bad. Almost to the point it hurt to hold onto it??
Old 10-15-2007, 07:06 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

check the rubber grommets around the bolts at the crossmember to see if theyre missing mineare an it starts around 60 mph
Old 10-15-2007, 07:29 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

It's vibrating only at moderately high speeds? Harmonic Dampner perhaps? My car vibrates really badly at low rpms and the shifter as well. When I go to 50+ it smoothes out. Some told me, if my vibrations happens at high RPM then it would be my Harmonic Dampner/Balancer. Since mine has the shakes at low rpms it's probably my fan and clutch causing it. I'm replacing those next week.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:33 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bbbngowc

It's vibrating only at moderately high speeds? Harmonic Dampner perhaps? My car vibrates really badly at low rpms and the shifter as well. When I go to 50+ it smoothes out. Someone told me, if my vibrations happens at high RPM then it would be my Harmonic Dampner/Balancer. Since mine has the shakes at low rpms it's probably my fan and clutch causing it. I'm replacing those next week.