5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

3.73's question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 09:58 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: 3.73's question

Wow, you guys are hard on this kid. ITS NOT THAT HARD.... THERE ISNT ANY HUGE PROBLEMS!!

I'll PM you and give you step by step instructions, also i will give you alternative parts, insted of special tools from ford. IM A PROFESSIONAL FORD TECHNICIAN!!!!!
Old 02-24-2005, 10:36 PM
thelast50ho
2nd Gear Member

here u go try this
Old 02-24-2005, 10:42 PM
Magiarn71
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Casper98GT

IM A PROFESSIONAL FORD TECHNICIAN!!!!!
That may explain why it's so easy for you. I get into trouble all the time because I always say "It's easy" to people who have never done something that I do alot. It's not so easy to the first-timer. There's something to be said for experience.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:02 PM
import slayer
3rd Gear Member

Wow, you guys are hard on this kid. ITS NOT THAT HARD.... THERE ISNT ANY HUGE PROBLEMS!!

I'll PM you and give you step by step instructions, also i will give you alternative parts, insted of special tools from ford. IM A PROFESSIONAL FORD TECHNICIAN!!!!!
Hey, we're just trying to save the kid some frustration and headaches since he never did it before. You were sent to school for this stuff....the rest of us didn't.
I'm a chef...do you know how to make veal oscar or lobster scampi? I didn't think so!! Do you see what I mean? I can make that stuff without a reciepe...it's simple
Get my point?

Hey, it's his car...I don't care if he screws it up. Go ahead kid..knock yourself out. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 02-25-2005, 12:00 AM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: import slayer

Hey, we're just trying to save the kid some frustration and headaches since he never did it before. You were sent to school for this stuff....the rest of us didn't.
I'm a chef...do you know how to make veal oscar or lobster scampi? I didn't think so!! Do you see what I mean? I can make that stuff without a reciepe...it's simple
Get my point?

Hey, it's his car...I don't care if he screws it up. Go ahead kid..knock yourself out. Let us know how it turns out.

Got any yummy jerky recipes?
Old 02-25-2005, 03:23 AM
bc_stang
1st Gear Member

get it professinally installed.proper gear installed make a diffrence between quiete rear end and howling rear end.u need to set ur back lash properly and make sure ur wear pattern is centered.u would need to buy special tools to check ur back lash and adjust it.u would need to properly preload bearing with a torque wrench..one with the needle/gauge.again to adjust ur backlash u would need diffrent shims.trust me dude save urself some headache and frustration. take it from a guy who worked in a transmission shop for 2 years.i got mine done about a year ago and decided to let someone do it for me.by the time i was gonna get all the special tools and shims,gear oil and additive,it was almost cheaper to get them installed.they charged me 250$ plus tax including oil and additive.saved me whole lotta frustration and headache.
but again just watch when they install the gears.u would get the idea wat it involves.if u really feel the need to do it urself get a cheap wrecked rear end for about 40-50$ from junkyard and take it apart for fun and see wass in it and how its set..hell if its wrecked u might even get it for free or 10$.lol.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:38 PM
Cobra Owner At 19
2nd Gear Member

Yea im still debating to do it myself or have a shop do it. Problem is if i dont do it myself, there isnt any machine shops around here that do that stuff. I come from a corny *** rich town (me and my mom are NOT rich however live in an apartment) and stuff like that doesnt exsist much in an area like this. If i still talked to my dads side of the family i could get this done for free,but we dont see eye to eye any more.

And yea after reading that whole thing i think ill be looking for a machine shop round here. cause to quore eric cartman, as far as those directions go all i have to say is "Not cool". but im still gonna beat myself to death thinking i can do it till i find those tools and what there prices are beacuse i look at it like this. IF IF IF (3 times so you can know i said it) i do this i can actually make money off of this. gotta bunch of freinds that want this done and said if i did learn how to do it, theyd pay me to do it.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:34 PM
16FoxBody
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Cobra Owner At 19

Yea im still debating to do it myself or have a shop do it. Problem is if i dont do it myself, there isnt any machine shops around here that do that stuff. I come from a corny *** rich town (me and my mom are NOT rich however live in an apartment) and stuff like that doesnt exsist much in an area like this. If i still talked to my dads side of the family i could get this done for free,but we dont see eye to eye any more.

And yea after reading that whole thing i think ill be looking for a machine shop round here. cause to quore eric cartman, as far as those directions go all i have to say is "Not cool". but im still gonna beat myself to death thinking i can do it till i find those tools and what there prices are beacuse i look at it like this. IF IF IF (3 times so you can know i said it) i do this i can actually make money off of this. gotta bunch of freinds that want this done and said if i did learn how to do it, theyd pay me to do it.
yea thats all good, but i wouldnt try learning how to do that kinda stuff for future income on on your own car. Its so complicated, u need tools, help, time. and if it doesnt come out right, then ur gonna ahve to get it done right anyway and may have to spend more money cuz u screwed something up, if i were u id just get them done right the first time, ull be sorry once that thing is out and ur scratching ur head. Good luck man
Old 02-25-2005, 04:36 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

it is not as hard as everyone says it is, my dad and i put my gears in, i will say thoe you are better off to let a shop do it.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:59 PM
91BlownTbird

where can i get a nice set of 373's for my 90 GT and are they worth the bang for the buck from a stock 90 GT Rear End...

Quick Reply: 3.73's question